surfaces - roof stainless steel drip rail

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking for something to keep water from getting between the rail and the bottom edge of the roof. My roof is vinyl covered and rail fit is tight but probably won't prevent every bit of water from getting between roof and rail. My thinking is, with the rail removed, a smear of something on the bottom of the vinyl edge will create a water proof barrier. Want to be able to remove the rail in the future so avoid a strong bond that will damage the vinyl. If this is not possible will do without.

Looking for a filler to close the gap between the rail surface that mates with the underside of the roof. A water seal is not needed for water can not migrate up to this area. Do not want a strong bond for I want to remove the rail in the future.

2. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Get yourself either a 10 speed or mountain bike tire inner tube and cut a gasket out of it that would fit in between your drip rail and roof. Should do the trick! Maybe add a light coat of rubber cement between them as well to help seal the deal. Then it will also be easy to take apart in the future as you want to do.

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

3m strip caulk might be good?

Rosster likes this.
  4. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I’d use the non hardening strip caulking made by 3m as it can be formed like playdough to fit the area, squeezes oit the excess when tightened, and you can simply remove the oozed out material with a soft popcicle stick.

4E86210E-4415-46A0-88F9-253143CCD1F9.png