Survivor 1973 Camaro Type LT RS Z28

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by bka80s, Nov 9, 2019.

1. bka80s

bka80s New Member

B58A0BF8-35E5-4C06-8E19-3897FAB4DA99.jpeg CC1E40A5-B4DB-49E3-9F7B-06D0300EEBF5.jpeg B669586C-1686-49CF-8DEC-34A35991B0C2.jpeg 23B70FC9-3B52-4A9C-A3E1-1CF688B0C137.jpeg
    For what it’s worth, here’s the Vintage Vehicle Services record and the matching VIN on the 350 engine.

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

That is nice stuff for sure but one could question the body matching all those Vin numbers you have.

3. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Just my opinion but I would have to think given the overall condition of the car, the possibility of it being a clone given the documentation and matching numbers would be extremely remote.

bka80s likes this.
  4. bka80s

bka80s New Member

Update:

I just spent some time on the phone with McCune and we were able to verify the authenticity of the car and the authenticity of the condition. There are a couple of areas on the car that have been modified from its original condition. (Big thank you for the time you spent on the phone)

As mentioned previously, the cowl has been painted and the data tag was removed and re-rivoted to the cowl. I don’t have any knowledge as to why that might have been done, other than for aesthetics. Close inspection on various other parts of the car reveal that it is indeed original and not a case of cowl tag or VIN swapping.

The rear of the car has had some paint work as well, but is isolated to just the trunk lid and the rear panel (tail light area).

The rest of the car is indeed original paint.

I think the better description of this car would be “Original with Day 2 mods Camaro Type LT RS Z28”

It’s more original than modified and all the important parts are still there.

450bench likes this.
  5. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Wow!! What a nice, clean, well documented car. I love these 2nd gens. Modified or original. Especially the 70-73s.That being said I think its a shame this one wasnt left 100% original by its previous owners. Not many came with the Z28/RS/Type LT options all rolled into one. I wish we knew how many did. I see alot of things that cant be reversed on this car. Hood pins drilled in the hood, pin striping over original paint. Aftermarket gauges drilled into the dash. Original rims missing, exhaust manifolds missing, original rear end gears changed, & I assume missing. I mean you say its never seen rain & still has original wipers. Its a shame everything wasnt still original. What a time capsule it could be. I think that is where its highest resale value would be also. Great car nonetheless. Great story & history too. I wish we could get such documented history on all these 2nd gens

6. bka80s

bka80s New Member

I agree! I wish the previous owners would have realized what they had back over the years.
    At least the original hood and main portion of the original engine is still with the car.
    To them, it was just a show car and they used it as such. What a car it would be if it was still 100% original, and in the same condition it’s in now.

f-body freak likes this.
  7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

IMHO, most of the missing things are quite replaceable. Sure, for a concourse restoration there's a problem but cosmetically, this car can be given it's near-stock appearance by a few replacement parts and bolting it back together. The hood had to go anyway because of that L88 type hood.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I would be careful with the wordplay here. :)

When you call a car a "survivor", you're just asking for a ton of scrutiny because there are very few true survivors out there. Also, people have different definitions of what a survivor is as you've found out. Having a different motor in the car does not make it "original" and also makes it quite extreme in calling it a "Day 2" car, IMHO.

I would just call the car what it is: 1973 Camaro Type LT RS Z28
    Let the car speak for itself. It's a beautiful car and a blast to drive, I'm sure.

BTW, McCune has been a great help to me a well, many times over. I certainly value his knowledge of 73s.

9. bka80s

bka80s New Member

That is sound advice. As I’ve been getting other knowledgeable people’s viewpoints, that description seems to make the most sense and is straightforward. The best spokesman for the car is the car itself.

I’ve been going over my ad narrative and the 200 plus pictures I have of the car the past few days and these inputs have helped.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  10. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

When this car was for sale a couple years ago I found it on their website in AZ I believe. I corresponded a little and asked about the trim tag and paint issues and chrome work. At that time I felt he was about 4-5K over what it was worth. It’s nice and I would have flown down and bought it for the right price, but he wouldn’t answer questions. Nice car.