Suspension, Hydaboost, C5, Wheels...oh MY!

iregret

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2003
Land of enlightenment.
I have been doing some reading... LOTS of reading. I just bought a 70RS, and want to upgrade the suspension, brakes, and wheels. It seems like the midbudget way to go is the C5 brake swap. I plan on buying most of the parts from a wrecking yard, or ebay. There is a nice parts list in the sticky! Thanks!

I understand to clear the larger brake setup, you need to go with 17 inch wheels. I am a cheap bastard, and found some used wheels semi-local on craigslist.

Craigslist Wheels

Think these will fit in the rear? I wasn't sure if it was the same bolt pattern, but when I bought aftermarket wheels for my old 80 camaro, I remember the guy saying that it was the same as chevy trucks. Not sure what proper backspacing should be for the rear also. I have read it should be something like 5 1/4.

As far as the hydraboost setup. What year/make vehicle do I steal this from, and what should I expect the yard to want me to pay? Do I basically need the adapter, and something like this:

ebay
ebay
ebay

What master cylinder do you guys recommend using?

I have spent an honest 40 plus hours searching about what suspension setup to go with. Do I buy the Hotchkis kit? Do I buy the parts individually? Go with softer springs, and a larger sway bar? Stiffer springs, and a smaller sway bar? Rear sway bar at all?

I thought about piecing the springs together, by basically buying protouringfbody's springs, but the spring rates are drastically different than the Hotchkis kit that everybody seems to be in love with. I would totally just buy the Hotchkis kit... if it were still on sale. I have a hard time paying over a grand for the kit, but if it is truly worth it, I will. Does anyone know if they will be having a rebate soon? Or when they will go on sale again?

My plan was to get the camaro, swap motors, and so a basic rebuild on the front end. The car is going to be a semi-daily driver. I don't currently have any plans on autocross, or drag racing. I want something that handles well.

My starting budget was 2000 in upgrades. I know thats impossible with all these upgrades. Origionally I was going to buy a PST front end rebuild kit, and call it good.

See what searching as done to me!!!! Haha

Now lets talk about upper A-arms. I would like to go with adjustable ones, but is this really a must have for the street? Can I save some money and skip those? Or should I just keep saving and do it right?

Brake setup 500-600
Hydraboost 300ish
Suspension 1100ish
Busings ??
Adjustable A-arm ??
del-a-lum ??
tie rod, center link, other wearable items...??

If you had 2000 to spend, what order would you guys go with?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

~Justin~

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
Hi Jason,
If I had a $2K budget...hmmm?
Well, here is what I have spent so far.
17" steel rims roughly $60/ea = $240
Tires $420
C5 brakes at all 4 corners (approx) $750
includes a Wilwood tandem M/C and adjustable prop valve, all necessary brass fittings, DOT legal stainless steel brake lines at 4 wheels plus axle drop, loaded calipers bought from someone on ebay, Kore3 brackets to hang calipers, bearings, and D/S rotors

SPC adjustable UCA $212/ea = $425
Howe Tall upper ball joints $85/ea = $170
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
OK, I just busted your budget with the Howe ball joints. ($2005.00)

Del-A-lum bushings for the LCA $130?<--not sure what I paid for those, so I guessed.

Complete G Force front end kit from PST several years ago came with poly graphite bushings, 1.25" front sway bar, 1" rear sway bar, 2" front lowering coil springs of unknown rate, and 1.5" lowering leaf springs, all of the front steering parts like tie rod ends, center link, idler arm, etc...
I don't remember what all that stuff cost, and some of which has been replaced with parts listed up above..... so throw maybe a grand at that(probably over shot the estimate there but that should cover it)

BPDRacing

Sep 12, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
John,

What size tires are you running? And what width are your wheels...I am tempted to run the same wheels until the budget allows for something fancier.

BPD

67lemanster

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2003
I AM ILK
John Wright said:
Cragar Soft 8(steel truck wheels)
17x8 in the front with 255/40ZR/17 Sumitomo
plus with these front wheels you can run the c5 z51 front rotor and abutment with minor caliper clearancing done. that will give ya 13.5" rotor. woot woot. also look for c5 z51 for the rears. again you will need the rotor and abutment but the 13" rotor fits nicely in the the rear wheels.

if you run the standard c5 12.8" rotor with those wheels upfront you will need a 1/8" spacer to push the wheel out past the facing of the caliper.

iregret

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2003
Land of enlightenment.
Wheels

Just making reference to the proper backspacing for the wheels that John runs. Found it while I was searching around.

Thanks!

I plan to go with your wheels for now, and then upgrade when the tires run bald. That allows me to clear the bigger brakes, get a feel for your tires, and hopefully clear the hotchkis kit.

...JUSTIN lol

iregret

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2003
Land of enlightenment.
Oh and 1100.00 seems to be the cheapest place I can find the hotchkis kit shipped to my door. Thats from the group buy on the gpsuperstore.

Does anyone know if there is cheaper, or a rebate in the works or anything?

Thanks again!

67lemanster

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2003
I AM ILK
iregret said:
Oh and 1100.00 seems to be the cheapest place I can find the hotchkis kit shipped to my door. Thats from the group buy on the gpsuperstore.

Does anyone know if there is cheaper, or a rebate in the works or anything?

Thanks again!
1100 is pretty cheap. i think ace shopped it pretty hard last spring and thought he got a good deal at 1175 or so.

dont know if you are gonna run the ttII's or steelies like john and i. if you are running those craiglists wheesl expect fitment issues with the c5 stuff. do a search here. if your running the cragar soft 8's pm john or i and we can help you with the front of the caliper hitting the wheel.

iregret

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2003
Land of enlightenment.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I hate starting new threads...

Okay, after much debate, and research, I think I have decided to order these things from protouringfbody. I am still going to get ahold of protouring before I order, and see what he recommends for a suspension kit. Since I am not all out racing, but rather, just weekend warrioring, I am unsure of what suspension kit to go with. SPORT, GT, COMP, or RACING??

70-81 Racing front end kit
2CS-835 $669.00

G-BRACE, CONNECTOR, BODY BUSHING COMBO
2CF-000 $365.00
GT Kit
2CS-420 $479.00

Shocks
SS100A fronts $124.00 pair
SS200A rears $124.00 pair

Ad both front and rear sway bars to any suspension kit
$379.00

Driveshaft Loop
0CF-830 $52.00

TOTAL $2192.00
Any Objections?

I have a budget of $4000.00.

So, that should give me a kit comparable to Hotchkis(Hopefully better). Springs, swaybars, shocks, all the goodies. Has anyone used the racing front end kit yet? I think it has bushings similar to the del-a-lums.

Now, I have approximately 1800.00 left. I need to set aside 600 for exhaust. That leaves me with 1200.00.

I would like to do C5 brakes. I have read several posts that have completed the swap spending 750.00. How do I do that?

I don't want to spend all of my money. I am going to be doing a ton of work on Cindy, and want to have some cash "just in case". My other Camaro, that I am swapping the engine, trans and rearend out of, has Centerline autodrag wheels on it. They are 15x8 up front and 15x10 in the rear. If, memory serves me. My 80 donor Camaro, is at my father's house, so I can't confirm this right now.

For now, I want to use my Centerlines until I have the C5 brake swap completely figured out. I need to save for that and 17 inch wheels.

I don't really want to take the front end apart twice but, don't want to prolong the project any longer. I guess I will just deal with stock brakes for now...

I also have to figure out what vehicle to steal a hydroboost unit from, and what master cylinder I can use with it. I know that I need to find a 1 inch bore.

John, and leemanster, thank you very much for your help! I am very grateful!