Suspension squeak

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 408maro, May 13, 2017.

1. 402Tim45

402Tim45 New Member

Was this ever resolved??? I have the exact same squeak! QA1 coilovers and control arms. Squeak is on passenger side and seems to be coming from the upper spring pocket - upper shock mount area.

2. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

i had this same problem, for me it was the gromet wasnt seperating the inner rod of the shock from rubbing on the frame to where it bolts to the frame. the squeak i had was IDENTICAL. i tried harder rubber bushings but the squeak came back. what ended up working for me was i took a piece of 1/4” schedule 40 brass pipe “readily available at home depot” and made a 1” sleeve that goes over the threads of the shock and lightly gets pressed into the upper and lower rubber bushings. bam squeak gone. you do not have to drop the coilovers to do this. i even did it with the tires on. i dont know if this will work for other people but it worked for me

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Any pics please ?

4. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

this isnt the gromet i used (my car is already all back together) but it is basically the same thing. the brass nipple (do not use the threads of the nipple, this is just a leftover scrap piece) gets cut 1/4” longer than the bushing with it pressed in flush from the top. (mine pressed in by hand the bushing pictured is a different brand and too stiff to press in by hand) then slide this whole assembly on the top shock mount where your nuts thread on above the frame and make sure it lines up squarely inside the hole in the frame. the brass nipple keeps the rubber from drifting out of the hole in the frame when the shock moves side to side a little bit during suspension travel. another HUGE thing to mention which i believe was mentioned above, is to see if the washers that go on top of the upper shock bushings are rubbing on the frame. mine totally were and i had to cut an edge off of the washer for clearence. that brought the squeak down 80% and the brass bushing thing brought it down to nothing.

Attached Files: