Swap 4spd for auto w/ overdrive 79 Z28

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Kurtis Bay, Sep 30, 2020.

1. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

We recently did (3 years ago) an 81 Z28 that was originally a 350 with a TH350 lock up trans. New engine is a GM ZZ 383 rated at 425hp. Bowtie Overdrive provided a 200R4, 2200 stall converter, rear cross member and TV cable. Original drive shaft and yoke worked perfectly. To date no issues. A professionally built 200R4 is fine for a moderate street car in the 450hp, 500tq range. Upside to the 200R4 besides overdrive is it's first three ratios mirror a TH350.

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. Professionally built with good parts. My neighbour has struggled to keep a 2004r alive behind a sub 400hp small block. He has had it assembled by a good builder, but refused to pay for beefier parts that they suggested.

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  3. Sanders Speed

Sanders Speed Member

I love my 200 4r (84 Grand National core)in my 68 GTO convertible with a 455 and 3.55 rear gear. I do have some C.K. Performance (east coast 200 4r guru) parts in it. Only thing I would think about changing, is use a non locking torque converter, if I remember correctly, 14 lbs of extra rotating mass and only drops about 200 rpm. My TC is toggle switch activated, what I've read about the automatic activated ones, people could not get them to work right. THE TV cable setup and carb geometry is very important for both 700 and 200 4r. Sorry about the injury.
    • 1st gear: 2.74
    • 2nd gear: 1.57
    • 3rd gear: 1
    • 4th gear: .67

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  4. Kurtis Bay

Kurtis Bay New Member

Good advice...I have a lot to review

5. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Didn't notice if it was mentioned before, but you'll need to change the trans yoke as well ( unless it's 4L80E )

John

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

in a SBC you probably do not want or need the Lock up (if your only using a 2200 -ish converter).....in a PONCHO that offers TOOOOOO much torque already, a Lock-up is quite advantagous but takes a REALLY good converter to utilize. Typical scenario would be LOCK the converter at the 1-2 shift to basically remove the converters torque multiplication (slip) thereby using only the engines torque output to move things. Again this takes a really good billet converter with 2x clutch capacity but lets you have a 3200 rpm converter you can drive everyday without riding the converter while cruising at 40 mph.

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  7. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

Good morning, you might check a local builder for a 700R4, a friend in the Cincinnati area bought one built for his application for around $700. The tunnel is tight on a 2nd gen, you'll likely have to enlarge the tunnel for a 4L80E, not sure about the 4L60E. The mount will need to be relocated, and/or fabricated. I had an '81 Camaro with a TH400 back in the early '80s, had to drill the subframe and relocate the crossmember. Just finishing up a 4-speed conversion on the '73 that I've owned since '84, hope to drive it in a week or two!

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  8. Brad Burris

Brad Burris New Member

I currently have a 2004r with s Shiftworks kit in shifter. NOW things to think about: console, shifter, crossmember, transmission cooler and most of all the TV cable. Whoa the TV cable is critical. Mine started as a TCI Streetfighter unit bought from Summit. After years of abuse behind my 391 small block I had it rebuilt. I was NOT using a remote cooler but I am now. My current horse power range is 500. I called Art Carr and ordered his parts. I personally spoke with him and purchased what he recommended. My engine is under crammed and that will change so I prepped for it. Good luck and you will love it. P.S. my first 2004r was in my 1987 Grand National. It ran 11.70 with slicks.

Kurtis Bay likes this.
  9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There will be a lot of differing opinions on that statement. I like the lockup converter on my 700-4R.

10. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Sorry but there is some misinformation here. Don't pretend to have the wisdom, but challenging to prove my wrong...

All output shafts on th200-4r's are 27 spline and all output shafts on 4L80E's are 30 spline. Won't work.

There is no converter lock up in the 1st or 2nd gear. Some have lock up (switch) in 3rd gear valve train, but most only in 4th gear valve train of the valve body.

That's something else than turbime and pump in the converter turning at same speed after the stator releases. It leaves you still with converter slip of few % (in a quality converter), which can be solved by lock up dropping RPM with 100 to 300 RPM. Single disk will do the trick on DD, a triple dick will survive behind a S/S combo. Still, you want to prevent L/U at WOT for durability reasons.

The latest transmission I went through (a couple weeks ago) was a th200-4r. You just need to know that despite of the fact of you put the right goodies in it ($$$$$), you still have to manage the hydraulic challenges.

Despite the fact that this transmission was in production for only 10 years, there are several different VB/governor types. Some are better suit for performance use, some are VERY hard to get them close to where you want them to shift.

Not saying it's a bad transmission. You just need to know what you are getting into.

Kurtis Bay likes this.