Swapping a 4.8 Vortec/4L60E into a 77 Camaro and have questions!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Glossman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Glossman

Glossman New Member

First post!

Hello! I'm new to this forum, but I some questions that were not answered definitively when I did a topic search. so I'm hoping I can get some help.

I will begin swapping a 4.8/4L60E combo into my restored 77 Camaro LT. For those of you that will ask "why a 4.8", well, I got the whole setup with all harnesses (with PCM) and electrical for about $2400...and it's all got 9 miles on it! Also, with gas closing on $4.00, even 1 or 2 MPG makes a difference over the long run. Anyway, I've got plenty of LS1 experience, having owned a couple of late 4th-gen SS's, but the whole swap business is new to me.

Here are my questions:

Accessory drive: My setup came out of an Express Van but appears to have the truck accessory drive with the AC at the 7 o'clock position and alternator up top. I've read conflicting information about whether or not I'll have fabricate brackets or just drop this in, but basically I need to know if I can use the truck drive.

Accessories part II: Another issue is that I've read the truck intake will not clear the hood and that an LS1 intake should be used. I have a spare lying around, but I've read in a couple of places that I'll have to re-work the accessory drive so that the LS1 intake plumbing will clear. Also, I've read that the thruck fuel rails will need to be replaced if I go to the LS1 intake...Is this all true? If it is, it just might be better to use the truck intake and "scoop" the hood, as I want to keep the engine as stock as possible.

Electronic throttle: The engine has throttle-by-wire. There's very little information on getting this to work in a swap car (aside from going to an earlier cable-throttle). What do I need to get the ETC to work? Is it even worth the trouble?

Factory gauges: How do I get the factory gauges to work for this. I know I can get a VSS converter that drives a motor for the speedo cable, but what about the tach. I know that Gen III V8s use a 5-volt bus, and due to the ignition system, the old-style tack won't work. Any way around this? Also, is there any way to rig up a driver information center to get all the factory engine data?

Air Conditioning: I'd like to use the compressor that came with the new engine with my car's AC. Anything special that I need to do besides fabricate the lines? I know I'll have to convert to R-134a, but don't I have to make some sort of connection to the PCM to for idle compensation?

Lastly, any idea on gas mileage? I'm gonna leave the stock 2.56:1 gearset in the back. I don't have a heavy foot, and I'm hoping to get 20 MPG on the highway with this setup.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!