Swapping Thrush 17656 for Dynomax super turbos

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 450bench, Oct 14, 2014.

1. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

About 8-10 yrs. ago I bought a 3" Summit turbo for my truck. It was reduce inside to 2.25 inches. So maybe they are all 2.25 inside.

2. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Hmmm that is very interesting. I never bought any larger than 2.25" so maybe they larger ones are from a diff. company or just necked down.

That's really strange

3. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Too bad for you youngens who missed out on the Hush Thrush Super Sonic Turbos. Quiet while cruising, yet could hear a good cam idle. and ok loud at WOT, also flowed nearly as good as a straight oiece of pipe (no muffler at all).

4. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

When I bought my 73, it had a brand new exhaust system installed. Looks like a decent mandrel bent header back system with a set of Flowmasters. When I did my Tremec 5 speed swap in November, I got a clearer look at my mufflers are they are from Imco. When I bought the car the previous owner put it on his lift for me and I simply missed that fact.

I have a healthy 396 in my car. It has a mild lope to it and all my buddies have commented on how good the exhaust sounds. However I feel that it drones at times. I've tossed around the idea of a muffler swap but simply can't make up my mind. I've heard really good things about Spin Tech but I had a nice 2-1/2" Magnaflow system on my old 68 Firebird and I liked that too.

Right now I'm in limbo because I can't make up my mind.

5. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

Absolutely

6. z28will

z28will New Member

Ditto on the Pypes system with race pros and tailpipes.