Sway Bar Mounting Holes Stripped

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Ryan 79, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Both the sway bar mount holes on the l/h side of my frame are stripped out, and have nuts on the back. I want to put a bigger bar on it.

Should I tack weld the bracket on, or cut a couole holes in the frame to install clip nuts? I have the proper hole saws to drill for the other end of the nut

2. fhp1556

fhp1556 Veteran Member

My friend found the front sway bar threads stripped on my car when he was putting Hotchkis parts on the car and decided to use HeliCoils. Worked out great!

3. SHANE 73Z

SHANE 73Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ryan,

If you have access to get in the front of the subframe you could always tack weld nuts to the inside of the member.

Other people have also used a piece of say 1/4" bar stock to lay on the inside and tap the new holes there.

You could also drill the holes out & install nutserts.

Just a few ideas.

Shane

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The reason they tapped the frame was ease of assembly on the production line
    there is NO reason you cant just continue to run nuts in the frame.

Tom

5. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

6. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe I should have given a little history.

When I rebuilt the suspension in 2002, I had no motor, trans, front end, steering box, A Arms, or even the core support on the car. I had a completely open front end.

They stripped out back then, and I got nuts on both of them, the back nit had a cut wrench installed on it to make it like an anchor nut. So they already have nuts on them.

The back one loosened up, that one may be reuseable. The front one just spins, and with the steering box, core support, and all the front sheet metal on, I don't have a wrench or socket that can hold the nut, so I'm drilling the bolt out.

Nuts are fine, I don't have a problem using them, I am just asking if there is a better way than welding or an anchor nut. To have 10% of the access I had in 2002 I would need to remove the steering box, power steering pump, header, and radiator, and I will just weld it before I do that.

I do have room to add a clip nut in there and the hole saws to drill for a clip nut, but am wondering if this would cause frame cracks, although there are a bunch of larger factory holes in this area.

I may need to change the bushings again at some point, and want to make this as easy as possible for a future cahnge

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I would have to go out and look at it, but can you fit a piece of metal, say about
    1 inch wide and 1/16th to 1/8th inch thick into the frame? I would suggest using
    two extruded U nuts on a piece of flat stock with large holes to allow wiggle room.
    They will keep the other bolt from turning and once you start the bolts your good
    to go on each.

[​IMG]

Tom