Syn vs Conventional oil

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by bigal6947, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bigal6947

bigal6947 New Member

Have been using AMSOIL full Syn in my 383 stroker (1500 miles), wonder if I can go to conventional oil without any problems. Been told it wouldn't be good idea to switch, using 5w-30 and what would be good range to use. Don't run much in town mostly out on the road.
    Thanks
    Al

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why are you wanting to switch? Amsoil is a good product.

3. Harleywood

Harleywood Member

You can switch and it won't hurt a thing. I've got a newer GM truck that requires Dexos certification oil which is basically a synthetic/conventional blend. The previous owner of my camaro ran castrol 20w50 in it up in oregon which puzzled me because of the colder temps you'd think he'd have run 5w30. I switched to Quaker State 10w30 when I got it home to Texas. No problems.

4. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Yeah, why switch? On a hot rod you don't change it enough to save much money, I see it as cheap insurance.

5. bigal6947

bigal6947 New Member

Oil

Was just checking to see what others think. Don't really want to change but if I did then need to know.
    Thanks for all your inputs will keep the AMSOIL in stock
    Al

6. bigal6947

bigal6947 New Member

Johnny, thanks for the input.
    I am from WASHINGTON,IN, graduated 1965.

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Synthetic motor oil (regardless of brand) is superior to conventional oil (regardless of brand) in every aspect.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

+1^

I agree with that, but you can switch back and forth anytime you choose between synthetic and conventional oils. Just be sure that any time you switch oil that you use the recommended weight and use oil rated for the engine you have.

9. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Agreed with above. You can switch back and forth and shouldn't cause any problem. I use synthetic in my daily drivers because of the extended oil change intervals synthetic allows. The base oil essentially never wears out, but the additive package gets used up and, of course, it still gets dirty. Modern EFI engines run really clean. Keep a good filter on it and you can do 10,000 miles on a synthetic oil change OR MORE without the slightest harm to the engine.

On a warm-weather, carbureted weekend fun car you'll probably change the oil once a year, regardless of how low the mileage is. That can get pricey with synthetic oils.

The one time I always use synthetics is if I have an engine that needs to be started infrequently in cold weather (for example: a snow blower). I don't care if the oil changes get a little pricey in that case. Synthetics just work SOOOO much better in cold weather, they can reduce engine wear pretty dramatically in an engine that is fired up a lot in cold weather after sitting for a while.

If you're going road racing in your car where it's gonna get beat on at WOT for a long period of time, you should definitely consider synthetic oil for an application like that, too. Synthetics also live a lot longer at elevated temperatures.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  10. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

If one spends the 10's of thousands of dollars it takes to rebuild one of the classic cars, the cost of an oil change with Synthetics once a year should not even be a factor.

I get a gallon of Synthetic from Meijer's for $25.00, at $10 for a good filter and your still at less cost than an evening dinner at a nice restaurant.

To cheap out of oil for a classic car, is just silly.