t56 magnum fitment

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by rosco72z, Sep 4, 2020.

1. rosco72z

rosco72z Veteran Member

Has anyone installed a Tremec T 56 magnum in a 72 Camaro, just wondering if there is any surprises, currently I have a M21 and looking for something stronger. I think the magnum is a little bit bigger but not sure if it affects fitment.
    Thanks R

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

T56 is designed for a Hydraulic throwout bearing, that's kind of a big one

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

If your engine is in the stock location, and assuming a SBC, the regular, or the slightly shorter solid bushings frame bushings, yes a T56 Magnum (TR6060) will will fit, you need to cut/trim for the shifter hole, and either move or get the proper trans mount as the trans is longer by about 7.750 inches, that’s from the bell face to the yoke trans center line, that’s what’s needed to get the drive shaft built, or yours shortened, and uses a different 31 spline.

Also, Silver Sport has a billet adapter plate to keep your existing bell housing, and your regular release bearing, also provides a normal speedo gear. They have a kit for second gens, give them a call or go on their site.

I’m actually Finishing up the final fab work at this very moment on my 1972 Zed, had to build a new tunnel and fab the rear trans mount because I’m a tight a$$ and I fab all my own stuff anyway. Moving the engine back almost 4 inches, and dropping it 2 inches in the cradle and dropping the body on the frame does not help at all for fitment if anything!!!!! and everything, I mean everything gets buggered up.

Word of caution, measure your actual driveline angles before tearing anything apart for the conversion. Detail notes, specs, even a drawing will help, most get all screwed up in this dept.

Here’s a pic, just welding up the cross member, Now if you leave everything stock GM you will NOT go through this hell !!!!

To much coffee (Tim’s for you hosers) and race scales can be a dangerous combination LOL

GD adapter plate is literally in my heating duct work, ya, centre of gravity in this car is not stock lol

But on a road course or Autocross , it’s worth it.

Hope this helps you out Sir.
    B55358FB-12DD-42AE-8343-C8F13A6E1271.jpeg EBAEB5BF-9E85-4B9E-9BB4-D27B0473119F.jpeg 9C84F99F-1198-48A3-8D1D-81C4C6E191C1.jpeg

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice documentation - when you're done, I want to make a guide-stickey if that's ok

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Thanks Lowend, that sounds good. I'm taking pic's, I'm not good at taking to much pic's during a project, forget actually, but I will on this one. Finished up the fab work, bolted on the exhaust and did the wiring, just need to reset my pinion angle and tweek the shifter location and go for a test ride.

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

No surprises doing mine. With a th400 mount, it was in the same place so all I had to do was flip it over(cut the mount off and flip it over) to get the proper drive line angle. All I had to cut was the hole for the shifter. The hydraulics are pretty easy to sort out too.

7. rosco72z

rosco72z Veteran Member

Hey G72Zed
    Thanks for the feedback on the magnum not sure if I will go with the magnum seems like the TKO600 is more a direct fit if I want to use my existing bell which is a lakewood and centerforce clutch both trannys are pretty expensive, the Z is all original except for the engine presently it has a built 327 with a m21 with 3:73's, 2nd gear is starting to grind a bit, this is the second time in 20 years I have done the trans and was ready to pull the trigger on a 5 or 6 speed but dam they ain't cheap and I don't want to spend big $$ on a used to find out it needs a rebuild, I watched a video on Muncie's called the Muncie Tapes he (Paul) has some good tips on rebuilding, I usually send parts to the US side of the border and go pick them up but with covid its not that easy anymore , this will be my winter project rebuild the muncie or do a transplant of a 5 or 6 speed and redo the rear, at this moment I'm not sure witch way I'm going to go. Looks like I got some reading and planning ahead of me.
    By the way awesome work on your camaro really nice work you have some skills.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have a regular t56 from a 99 fbody. I used a similar plate as above and kept my mech clutch setup

If I was doing it today I may or may not use the mech setup, but I would not use the plate, I'd use a quick time bell. the more you push it back the more room you need to make.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Your welcome rosco72z, and you are correct, the TKO500/600 is an easier fit compared to the T56 Magnum, and none are cheap, mind you, I have a 36 month warranty with the Silver Sport Magnum, so they stand behind their product.

The big factor in deciding is weather to pick a .82 5th, or the .64 5th gear, depends on rear tire diameter, if your carb or EFI and what cruise speed you want, or comfortable driving at on the highway. That's one of the reasons I chose the T56 Magnum, got both gears.....80 and .63

Love you combo of the built 327/M21/3.73's....(if your ever looking for a set of heads, I have my Sportsman's Irons and a set custom Oval port Aluminum with matching intake that I would sell.)

Thanks for the compliment, now going out to finalize the pinion angle and out for a test drive.

It's a big change going to a 5 or 6 speed, but it's worth every penny. Take your time, do your research and ask questions, i will do my part to answer based on my direct experience with my 72 Z.

10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I read this like the t56 magnum is hard to fit compared to a tko. To those reading this, the t56 magnum is not hard to fit in a second generation camaro at all.
    As for over drive. You need to know your car. I always recommend the 0.82 with 3.73s and higher. 0.63 for anything lower.