t56 magnum fitment

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by rosco72z, Sep 4, 2020.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I cut away much more metal to get the TKO to fit...The Magnum was a better fit.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I should have been more specific, I used "easier" eluding to the fact of the TKO's somewhat smaller size to the Magnum's.

But in my post #3, I did state that Yes, the Magnum fits our second gens, trimming the shifter hole and addressing the trans x member is required, and to look at SST on their site as they have a full kit for our cars.

76z28 likes this.
  3. hania

hania New Member

Hi guys

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

When it comes to the TKO...I feel the issues is more shape than physical size. The square top plates gave me big trouble, whereas the 4-speeds and the Magnum are more rounded on top and slip in the tunnel better. The OE T56 is horrible due to the tail housing.

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Ah, true on the "square'ish" top design of the TKO. I'm sure BFH would come in handy, or plasma to make short work of it.

Drove my car with the new SST Magnum yesterday....love it, and that STX shifter is so sweet!!!

I have a customers 69 SS 396 Chevelle with a 500HP 396 with TKO600 and 4.10 12 bolt in the shop now, the shifting is not even on the same level... did think it would be that different, but it is.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nice work G! As for the TKO, I think it matters what the trans was optioned for. I got mine from SST as a kit made for a 2nd gen, and put it in the car myself, laying on my back. Zero cutting, trimming, no swing-press needed for anything. I think you can buy the trans itself from various places, but may not have the right shifter location or case mods needed to fit a 2nd gen.

Might also be different for an auto car, but mine popped right in. Love the TKO, but of course now I want to try a T56....

G72Zed likes this.
  7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing that detail info on the TKO's biker.

That's most likely the reason why the SST company has a good rep, they take care of those small details as in addressing the minor fitment issues.

8. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Right?? I have a stock shifter in mine versus my friend has an sst in a tko600. We were both amazed how silky smooth mine was in comparison

9. rosco72z

rosco72z Veteran Member

Has anyone run a Gear Vendors O/D unit with a muncie 21, would like to keep the original stick in the car but want a o/d for highway running.
    Thanks for your feedback
    Hey G Thanks for the offer on the heads I have a set of ARF 195's, Venolia forged pistons and rods, L79 cam with CC Magnum 1.6 roller rockers Eddy AirGap, holly 650 dp she sure likes to rev.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

agree to that