T56 swap clutch pedal travel

VandykeT/A

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hurley, VA
I swapped a LS1/T56 set up in my 80. I bought the speed tech bracket and drilled a hole to keep the clutch master cylinder rod straight. The problem I’m having is the clutch pedal has very little travel. Should I drill another hole up to get more throw on the pedal. It’s basically like the pedal and master rod are working 1 to 1 now I’d like to have more pedal travel. I have clutch pedal stop made/ welded to the pedal itself and is adjustable but it’s not even touching the floor for testing. It’s all factory replacement hydraulics for a 4th Gen. The clutch is also kind of dragging. Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
For an LS1 T56, the bearing is spring loaded against the clutch diaphragm springs. Its going to always be touching, but the presence of hydraulic pressure is telling me the MC rod is depressed. I feel an easy fix to that would be to bleed off pressure, but then you might no have enough rod travel to release the clutch. However, just SA the clutch pedal will have less movement to release the bearing over than a mechanical set-up due to how hydraulics work. This is why I use a aftermarket MC, more adjustability.

Are you using the OEM clutch bearing?

VandykeT/A

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hurley, VA
I’m using a OEM master and slave but the speed tech bracket came with a rod and heim joint that had to be welded to the stock master cylinder rod to make it adjustable. My problem is I can’t get the clutch to release. Clutch goes in but the clutch isn’t released causing the car to try to move and the pedal has very little throw I think my weld may be holding off the rod from fully letting the master cylinder bottom out which I can fix with some grinding but I hate how the pedal has so little travel it feels like it has 2 inches of pedal movement

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Sounds like you need more throw which should be adjusted in the rod. You could need to bleed the system more as well

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Sounds like you need more throw which should be adjusted in the rod. You could need to bleed the system more as well
I second this. I have a similar set up to what you're describing @VandykeT/A and mine had a similar issue of not releasing on initial start up. Adjusted the clutch pedal rod for more travel and it cleared all of it up.

VandykeT/A

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hurley, VA
I’m actually out of adjustment on the rod. I took the master back off ground the weld down so I know it wasn’t interfering. I also took off the clutch pedal and welded and re drilled the hole farther inward near the edge to raise the pedal higher. Hopefully this will fix it.

Latest posts