Tail Panel Replacement / Deck Lid Alignment?

jsibayan

Veteran Member
Jun 11, 2013
Salinas, CA
Hey Gigfity, I used a lap weld connecting the upper quarter to the tail panel. I compressed the two panels by using a needle type nose vise grip. I did it the best I could. There were gaps though.

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
The quarters are original, as is the decklid. I'll check the spoiler. I did feel like the top edge of the tail panel was a bit soft, but I have nothing to compare to at this point. Not sure what area you are referring to about the radius.

The decklid had a bit of previous repair towards the center (dent). Not a large amount of damage, but enough where I spent some time working on the edge lip. I'm not sure what to make of that edge....I may look into the AMD tail panel like you said but I'd like to keep the original decklid if I can.
if your 1/4's and deck lid are original i would say its the rear panel. i replaced alot of my panels and the dynacorn i got from tamraz was not that good .if there was a repair done to the decklid that could have a affect on getting where you need to be .definitely try different brand panel .there is a slight arch side to side on the rear gap on the decklid it was kinda a odd looking gap tight on 1/4's loose in middle the gaps at 1/4 to lower part of tail should have 1/4 to 3/8 gap at the most.the tailight panel at below bumper originally had a unattached seam(was not fully sealed to inner panel). GM did not seam seal that either. opening is similar to filler between decklid and back window. they did that to keep cost down and knew about body flex on unibody. thats also part of the reason those rotted out.
Hey InfinitR,

How did you close that gap on the lower valance and the rear quarters or did you have any issues with this area? If anyone else could chime in, please do.

View attachment 62060

Attachments

• 100_1181.JPG
    100_1181.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_1979.JPG
    100_1979.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 0606171639b.jpg
    0606171639b.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 1010181708.jpg
    1010181708.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 213

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
that is to much
the pass 1/4 needs to be brought over to center more.the drive side if you will notice that the angle of the 1/4 gap is not at the right angle matching the rear panel. this is a major pain been there done that. unfortunately to correct (besides using bondo)will require rework. don't despair all you need to do is remove welds in that area and move panels closer to tail LOL .i know it's not funny like i said been there done that

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
Hey all.

I'm working on some replacement panels on the rear of my 71 Camaro. It started with rust in the trunk pan and rear valance, as well as a suspect previous tail panel repair.

I removed that tail panel, replaced the rusted areas of the trunk, replaced the lower valance, and am now working on replacing the tail panel as well as trying to line up the deck lid and quarters. It's a challenge for sure.

This is what I have so far. I don't have the decklid seal. It's hitting at the middle. The decklid doesn't quite clear the top of the tail panel (not sure if it's supposed to).

I'm just looking for any ideas or advice that may be helpful in getting this to fit better. Thanks!

View attachment 61254 View attachment 61262 View attachment 61255 View attachment 61256 View attachment 61258 View attachment 61259 View attachment 61261

70ZED

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2010
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Gaps should end up like these. RH shot is before quarter is changed out. Did the AMD rear panel, what a piece of shhttt ! Same issues, had to slice it in many places to get it to line up

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpg
    IMG_3610.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 250