Tail Panel Replacement / Deck Lid Alignment?

Dichard

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Trying to remember how that went. For me, I had a few panels to replace, which included one of those small corner pieces that connect the valance panel to the quarter. Removing that probably gave me a little margin when test fitting. But, I feel like that actually fit pretty well. I have to take a look again in the day.

As for the edge of the tail panel...I pretty much started with trying to get the upper quarter edges and the pointed area at the sides to match up. Clamped behind the lights and then 4 bolts with washers in the bumper holes to help pull the tail panel into place while clamping and temporary metal screws where needed down toward the bottom edge. For me, the edges were actually slightly too tight. The rear right edge of the tail panel had to be cut and re-rolled a bit to match up between the quarters.

I'm actually going to do what jbloake recommended. I ordered an AMD panel and I am going to compare. While there are some areas I am happy with, I'm curious to see how that panel matches up.
I just got done doing my tail panel, strange as it sounds, before I replaced the panel, everything lined up great, but since I have the OER qtr pal all is not good. I'll drop in a couple of picks of what I had to do to the tail panel to line everything up. I ended up taking my high speed cut off wheel and cutting a seam about 14 inches long (so when you bend the panel to fit it doesn't kink) then I tacked it back together slowly, once I was done, it fit rather well..
you will have to grind away some of the edge o the tail panel to get everything to line up, but that's the nature of the taiwan replacement parts.
here are the pics.. Let me know if you have any questions..

Attachments

• IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 304

Dichard

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Hey InfinitR,

How did you close that gap on the lower valance and the rear quarters or did you have any issues with this area? If anyone else could chime in, please do.

View attachment 62060
I think the panel on the qtr panel isn't shoved into the secondary support skin far enough..before you well the panel in place,(I left this for very last) even after I installed the tail panel, cause the lower portion of the quarter panels
have to be matched up and then trimmed a bit then welded very very last. I had to think this whole process thru, cause my neighbor that is the body man, pretty much forgot about helping altogether.. But none the less I got it completed all by my self.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Both plants used the first design brace ,I have seen a number of Norwood cars with the brace like yours ! I am not picking on you or your car here !!! I looked back at the passenger door mirror and I don’t believe Van Nuys installed that mirror. I don’t recognize the “X”on the bracket, and the gasket is not the 9832126 correct for the custom mirror . You can compare the picture I posted. Hope this is helpful
not really sure, but I can almost guarantee you that mirror never came off the car. It was fresh original paint under the mounting bracket.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
nteresting, I contacted AMD about the tail panel and this was the response.

Danny,
Thank you for those pictures. The head of my research department was able to get back with me, he confirmed that according to the 1970 GM Parts Book, the PN# for the tail light panel is 9827173. In the 1971 Part Book, it is listed as PN# 9839816. So there was a change, but all the parts books after that point just list PN# 9839816 as ’70-73.

According to him (his dad also retired from GM), when GM does that, supersedes a part number with a new one rather than keeping them different, that means it’s a very slight change with minimal work (GM’s opinion obviously) when changing out parts.

As for tips, I honestly don’t have any since we haven’t run into this. It doesn’t look terribly difficult, but I also can only see so much from pictures. From our research, we haven’t been able to find the early version anywhere, so I think the late ’70-73 tail panel is the only one being produced at this time.

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, but it looks like modifying that one to work will be your best bet.

I find it hard to believe they have never seen this, but who knows. Maybe I have the ultra rare 1970 1/2 camaro....lol The unicorn does exist!!!

jsibayan

Veteran Member
Jun 11, 2013
Salinas, CA
Hello All,
Has anyone run into the deck filler cap panel to the lower deck hinge area issues? I guess when I replaced the lower deck filler and welded in the hinges, the entire lower deck filler dropped causing both quarters and trunk sink downwards about 3/8". I already made spacers to raise the trunk to meet up with the quarters, but when I placed the upper deck filler panel it did not align correctly. Would anyone know how I could fix this issue?
Filler Panel 1.jpg
Filler Panel 2.jpg
Filler Panel 3.jpg
Filler Panel Top .jpg

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
U could probably put a floor jack or port a power in the trunk with a board across the top and slowly push up on it. Take ur time and do a little at a time, make sure u put something across the trunk floor to protect the floor.

jsibayan

Veteran Member
Jun 11, 2013
Salinas, CA
Hey Bill, thanks for responding, but we did that with the trunk, but in reverse. We jigged up a floor jack and pushed the trunk downwards in attempt to align the trunk to the upper filler panel. It helped and that's what we were left with.

Dichard

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Hello All,
Has anyone run into the deck filler cap panel to the lower deck hinge area issues? I guess when I replaced the lower deck filler and welded in the hinges, the entire lower deck filler dropped causing both quarters and trunk sink downwards about 3/8". I already made spacers to raise the trunk to meet up with the quarters, but when I placed the upper deck filler panel it did not align correctly. Would anyone know how I could fix this issue? View attachment 79902 View attachment 79903 View attachment 79904 View attachment 79905
Question for ya???
Where is the back seat cross brace?? I don’t see it in any of the pictures?? Was trying to figure how there would be such a gap and then I noticed the cross brace that the back set rests against was not in the picture. Are you leaving this out?? I ask this cause I think this may have something to do with the front pan alignment which may have something to do with the rear pan being pushed up 3/8” to match up with the filler pan..
This is just my observation... and from what I can see from the pictures.

jsibayan

Veteran Member
Jun 11, 2013
Salinas, CA
Hello Dichard, the back seat cross brace was left out and cut off because of the package tray replacement. I think what happened was that when I replaced the rear package tray, I didn't measure the height of it for replacement to take into account the upper deck filler that the trunk hinges attaches too which in turn caused the upper package filler panel sink down. What I'm thinking of doing is making a stand off/spacer on the 3 points of the upper deck filler panel, but unfortunately doing this will have that 3/8" gap all the way across from the upper deck filler and the lower deck filler. This is the only way to fix this, I think...but if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Dichard

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Hmm, I might have to think about this one.. Now you are talking about the upper detachable panel, CORRECT?? If so, I think it may be the panel itself.. I have to study the pics some more..
Here is a stupid question for ya?? How does the old panel fit??

Latest posts