Tanks Inc FI Another fuel leak!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ChevyReb, Apr 6, 2021.

1. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok 1st leak was because I tightened down the pump screws too much. I recently removed the tank and installed a new gasket and all seemed fine until today. I was in the shop posting up something and noticed a large puddle under the car. At first I thought it was trans fluid because of location under the car but then found it was dripping off the rear differential from the vent line just above. I filled it up yesterday and there was no leak this afternoon until sometime after I removed the carb to check throttle blade settings trying to fix another issue. So I’m like wth! Siphoned 6 gallons out and seems fine now but now I’m like how do I trust this fuel tank now? 20 gallons of 93 no ethanol yesterday was $70! Anyway I have it installed right up where the charcoal can was. I can take the back seat out and try to put it higher in there but that scares me too.

anyone that has this tank for a ‘70-73 lmk where you installed the vent and do not have this issue please.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Is it the vent that’s leaking? What type of vent are you using? I have the II much vent and it’s on the trunk ledge. If the tank is completely full to the brim and it’s hot, it will overflow. Just too much expansion and gas will leak out.

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I ran a Tanks fuel injection tank in my 73 with the stock vent, capped all the vent lines except the one running to the charcoal canister, never had an issue.
    Planning to do the same setup on the 70i just picked up.
    Also, I didn't run the canister in the engine bay, just the line inside the fender, 9k miles on it with no issue..

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

You have to make sure the gasket is compatible with the fuel you're running. Certain additives in certain blends can cause the gasket to swell.

This happened to me when I first ran the Tanks fuel tank. I called them and told them what was going on and they sent me a gasket of a different material. It was so long ago that I forget all the details, but that was the gist of it...

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Good luck!

Tanks inc products are junk !! The supposed powder coating is crap and they have known for years but won’t do anything about it, the gasket , separation, etc it’s always something with them

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 3:53 PM
  6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Wow... aside from the initial gasket issue (which was resolved pretty easily), mine has performed flawlessly for like ~10 years now I think...

Lol... I guess it's like the purchase reviews you see on stuff online... with some folks its "Yeah, this is the best thing since sliced bread!!"... with others "this thing is a POS!!"

mrfleet12 likes this.
  7. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

On my 73 Z28/L92 swap I just used a vented gas cap with zero issues. Wasn't a Tanks Inc tank because they weren't available at the time. So could you plug the Tanks Inc vent and use a vented cap?

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What am I missing? Seems his issue is venting, not the tank itself leaking right?

9. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

90 percent if people's issues with the tanks Inc stuff are user errors
    Mine has been in 6 years now without an issue.
    Never a leak or anything

10. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry for delay, here are pics of check valve that came with my tank and current location. 20210408_124643.jpg Screenshot_20210408-124751_Gallery.jpg