TBI Truck Motor Tuning

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by flak monkey, Jul 5, 2016.

1. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

The stock camshaft specs for the TBI camshaft are much milder than the specs listed earlier. Here's the specs for the TBI cam: Camshaft Lift: .382" Intake, .402" Exhaust. Camshaft Duration at .050": 165° Intake, 174° Exhaust. This, plus the swirl port heads is why they really have good torque but run out of power by 4000-4500 rpm.

2. flak monkey

flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I can get my laptop to communicate successfully then I will probably swap out the cam, heads and intake to try and improve performance a bit.

I don't want to destroy the towing capability so nothing too serious!

3. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Simple timing change, lift the injector pod up, an adjustable fuel press regulator (u can MAKE one for $5), a TBI base spacer, spacer under the factory air cleaner base and some cheapo 1:6 ratio rockers will wake it up. The biggest cork is the heads. Terrible. They have a HUGE hump in the intake that basically chokes it off by 30%. I can't believe they did that. But you'd be amazed what you can get out of it with out any negative issues..all for less than $150.

4. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I built a vortec tbi 357 with an lt1 roller cam and 9.7:1 with a tune, and I'm pretty unimpressed with it... I don't know if it's just the heavy wheels, the 1ton 5spd or just a lack of power, but it's not the monster I was hoping for.