Temp Gauge Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by DANZ, Apr 1, 2014.

1. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

70 Z28. Temp gauge pegged past hot when I turned the key on and it won't go back. Anyone know the cause and have a fix for this? Thanks...:confused:

2. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Sounds like a short in the wire or bad sending unit.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

Its either an open (wire not connected to sender) or a short of the wire to ground. I think the original equipment if it pegs past Hot its open and a short pegs below the coldest indication.

If you pull off your wire at the sender on the block and touch it to ground - see if the temp meter reacts. If it reacts its the sender, if its still pegged past hot then its a problem at the gauge end like the connector to the gauges or the circuit board etc.

If your using an after market gauge the stuff I wrote doesn't exactly necessarily apply. Aftermarket ones can be significantly different.

4. DANZ

Yep, I tried grounding it with no reaction on the gauge. I was hoping not to have to pull the gauge cluster but I may have to.:(

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

yeah if no reaction with the wire pulled off the sender or grounded, problem is in the car. I think with the key on and wire off sender you should read a voltage on the end of the wire with a dmm if connections & power at guage are good.

That temp guage is on the far right - if you just get the bezel off you can probe the back of the guage without removing cluster.

yup I just had to do all this about a month ago. ;)

6. DANZ

Thanks....:)