Tesla Losing Major Source of Profitability

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, May 6, 2021.

1. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

right, as part of one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world now, who made several pooty appliances that got good MPG

Zstar likes this.
  2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

some market changes don’t take rocket scientists to predict. Cruise ship stocks, amazon, etc when covid hit for example. It’s not too far fetched to see when teslas’s net operation revenue is smaller than income from emission offsets, that when they disappear, the company will be in a substantially different financial position.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Hellcat everything!

roadrace2 and Rosster like this.
  4. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

God, i hope not, hes one of the poorest investments ive seen in many, many years. why cant someone make a electric car with either a wind generator or a small honda engine, or tire driven generator on board to recharge the batteries?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those options either cause drag or use fuel.
    Energy wise… It’s a net loss.

Regenerative braking is about the best you can do (besides making the roof a solar panel).

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I think the Chevrolet Volt is probably the best design out there at the moment.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is pretty much what a Prius, see CMax, and Volt are. They have an electric motor, and a small gas engine that can both drive the wheels and recharge the battery.

Nowhere near enough service area for a solar array to help

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Already answered that question. FCA is now Stellantis. Stellantis includes Peugeot and Citroen, who are very active in the electric vehicle industry.

Just to repeat what I posted earlier...

In the leading electric vehicle market in the world, Tesla hasn't sold a single vehicle in Norway in May and only sold a total of 9 in April.

Puegeot (part of Stellantis) has sold 69 vehicles in Norway in May and 393 in April. Citroen (also part of Stellantis) has sold 46 vehicles in Norway in May and 166 in April.

So, as of yesterday morning when I typed that, Stellantis had outsold Tesla 115 to 0 for May.

An update to the numbers that I posted yesterday.

Tesla has now sold 1 vehicle (a Model Y) in Norway in May. Stellantis has sold 54 model Peugeot 2008's, 53 Citroen e-C4's, 20 Peugeot 208's, 17 Peugeot Expert's, 13 Citroen Jumpy's and 5 Peugeot Expert Traveler's.

I'll do the math for you. That's 162 to 1 in May 2021 in the most electrified country in the world, or in the last 24 hours, 46 to 1 over the last 24 hours.

9. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, friction and entropy are a bitch.

An engineering friend of mine got in a big argument with a student years ago, who kept insisting if we just put a windmill on top of our cars, they could run indefinitely.

roadrace2 likes this.
  10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think what we're missing with Tesla stock is, it's not valued in the traditional way stocks are valued. As other SiVa companies like Google and Apple have shown, investors will keep buying the stock of a "disruptive" company that's losing money for years, if they think their is a good chance that company can become the dominant company in their market. For the company's part, they have to keep pouring whatever profit they make back into development and expanding market share. I happen to be of the opinion that many companies around the world know how to assemble cars, so I'm skeptical that Tesla can pull off in the automarket what Google did in the search engine market, or Apple did in the smart phone market. But I suppose it's possible.

So, I think the question is, do the loss of the Fiat-Chrysler-Peugeot emission credits significantly hurt Tesla's ability to expand? I have no idea.

BTW, if you recall, Peugeot bought GM's Opel division, and got some high fuel economy and electric technology with that. No idea how much of it they're using, though.

The Champ and Rosster like this.