TH200-R4 Search

Motley 75

Apr 21, 2019
California
Hello Everyone,

I need some help running down a good used TH200-4R to replace the water-logged TH350 that's in the car right now. Flushing , is a waste of time and money and I need to get the car on the road. I live in San Diego. All the rebuild guys out here want way too much money for these things. Hell, I talked to one shop out here and the want almost $2,000 for a rebuilt TH350 (said cost of parts have almost tripled!!) I figure putting an overdrive trans is the best value and economic choice. Any suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
200R4's were never very common, and are VERY difficult to find at this point.
The TH700R4/4L60E is much more common and less expensive. They will fit the 2nd gen chassis with not a lot of work
Something like this TCI is a good example https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-371038
Mind you, with either trans, you are going to need a matching torque converter, and a TCV Cable setup

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Finding a Grand National junked or in any other condition cheap isn't likely to happen. You would probably have better luck looking at junked square body Caprices, especially station wagons that used the Olds engines. Some of those Caprices have 200R4 trannys.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I gave up on the 200-4R hunt and bought a 700-R4. It's behind a pretty healthy small block and seems to be doing okay. I also have 3.73 rear gears and that works out real good when the torque converter locks up.

Mind you, with either trans, you are going to need a matching torque converter, and a TCV Cable setup
You'll also need to modify your cross member or buy a new one. If the 700-R4 has an electrical speedometer hookup, you need swap that out also. And you'll likely need a new throttle/TV cable bracket.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Again - I'll be shocked if he can find a 200R4 trans in a junkyard. They've been out of production for SO long.

Now - a 700R4 can be taken from almost any other 82-91 GM V8 RWD application. 3rd Gen Camaro's are plentiful in junkyards. Junkyard transmissions make me nervous (like most junkyard parts). I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but for ~$2900 you can get the whole shebang new https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-371000p1
You'll still need to move the cross-member, but that's not a huge deal

Motley 75

Apr 21, 2019
California
I've definitely considered the 700r4 but other than the cross member, I heard that you have to shorten the driveshaft as well. The 700r4s are more common for sure. Are they synonymous with the 4L60e? I thought the latter had to be used with a tcm and there can be a whole other bunch of headaches if you don't have the right one, etc. Back to drawing board.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
You can still get a 200-4R from companies that build them. (Monster, Trans Depot, California Performance, Transmission Center etc.)
By the time you get one built to high performance specs, add a cross member, converter, TV system, speedometer gears, dipstick, cooler etc. (PLUS a core charge & shipping)
Depending upon how many hard parts are upgraded for various HP levels... It's real easy to spend $3000-4000 for the swap.

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
I've been mulling this over too a lot and if your going to be past 3k in may as well add 2500 to that and get a 4L80e from Jake. I know where a MC core is for $500 I haven't ruled it out yet but yeah, it's not cheep to add quality OD that will hold up. I do not like the 1st gear in the 700rs being so deep.

Latest posts