TH350 - 2004R Conversion Tips & Tricks

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I just noticed this thread back at the top...

I eventually DID add a throttle return spring without making the accelerator pedal feel too heavy.

Mountaineer

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 1999
Where Mountaineers are free
Twisted, so did I. Thanks to this post I ponyed up for the correct adjustment parts from BTO and things are about where I want them. I hooked my lockup to a dash switch which made things better. All in all, this is a great post if you're doing this swap. Nice job to Twisted Metal and all involved!!

PorkchopExpress

Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 14, 2006
Redmond
Hi Rick,

I was wondering why you opted for a manual lockup switch? I know a lot of aftermarket joints offer automatic lockup when in 4th with their kits, and read that this was all that was needed. The manual lockup switches I've seen work in 2nd and 3rd, in addition to 4th.

Just curious, because I am close to buying a stage 2 from bowtieoverdrives in the next few months for $1100. I was thinking that I was going to buy a rebuilt one and do the significant upgades with my Dad, but figured saving a few hundred $$ wasn't worth the time and headache.

Thanks!

Mountaineer

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 1999
Where Mountaineers are free
I was having trouble with the lockup coming in too soon, almost like the car would go straight from 4th to lockup in one motion, and it would lug like a manual car in too high of gear. While testing and getting my adjustments correct, I disconnected the fuse for the lockup and things improved a lot. I called BTO and they said it all depended on how the tranny was built (which was not by them) as to how the lockup would work, and the type of converter I had (also not theirs). So the switch works well for me. Once I get out on the highway, I just flip the switch and the tranny goes into lockup. I have the unlock feature hooked to my taillight switch, as per the BTO kit.

rhead007

Veteran Member
Oct 25, 2000
BOLINGBROOK ILL USA
i used an automatic lock up kit on my 700 r4 and overdrive trannies do not go into first gear untill stopped saftey feature from gm also i dont understad wy peaple dont just use there stock xmember and just move it back a few inches everything fits then

PorkchopExpress

Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 14, 2006
Redmond
Rick Kennedy said:
I was having trouble with the lockup coming in too soon, almost like the car would go straight from 4th to lockup in one motion, and it would lug like a manual car in too high of gear. While testing and getting my adjustments correct, I disconnected the fuse for the lockup and things improved a lot. I called BTO and they said it all depended on how the tranny was built (which was not by them) as to how the lockup would work, and the type of converter I had (also not theirs). So the switch works well for me. Once I get out on the highway, I just flip the switch and the tranny goes into lockup. I have the unlock feature hooked to my taillight switch, as per the BTO kit.

Thanks a lot for the information. I guess I'll plan on getting a manual lockup if I do the rebuild myself, or just purchasing everything including TC through BTO.

XxWickedz28xX

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 22, 2001
Carmel, NY
Twisted...great write up! Much appreciated here. One question. You said you bought the tranny freshly rebuilt. Was the tray "beefed" up or just rebuilt to stock specs. Reason I ask is I have a 200-4r that was rebuilt right before I bought it. It was rebuilt and put back into the car it came out of, so I assume that it was rebuilt using stock specs.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
XxWickeds10xX said:
Twisted... One question. You said you bought the tranny freshly rebuilt. Was the tranny "beefed" up or just rebuilt to stock specs?

The previous owner claimed to have spent $1500 on it with a local tranny shop to handle up to 450 HP. He had it in a Buick GNX clone. He couldn't get the speedo to work for him so he had the original tranny rebuilt and swapped it back. (The square hole in speedo gear was rounded out. :rolleyes: )

I never saw a list of parts that were replaced/upgraded but there was at least one part inside which I recognized as non-stock. I noticed, while wiring the TC Lock-up, a "No Yo-Yo Guppy" had been added. (Art Carr piece, IIRC.)

Sorry I don't have a better answer to your question. I learned a lot about the parts needed to install one of these in a Camaro but I didn't learn squat about performance tranny parts. :(

XxWickedz28xX

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 22, 2001
Carmel, NY
Thats ccol twisted, you answered my question. I kinda figured a stock unit wouldnt handle a v8. I can dream...right? lol