TH350 - 2004R Conversion Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Twisted_Metal, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There's lots of performance converters for 200-r4s converters made with lockup. Any Hughes part # that ends in L is a lock up. TCI's Streetfighter 10" is offered in lock up as well.

2. jayb53guy

jayb53guy Veteran Member Gold Member

Excellent thread! :D

3. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When did the TH350 begin to use a TV cable?

I must not have gotten that memo...

The "detent" cable on a TH350 doesn't apply more pressure to the clutches, it simply operates the detent valve for passing gear operation.

4. jakeshoe

No.

5. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

This certainly is a great and informative thread. Especially that the 200R4 can use the TH350 driveshaft as-is without shortening.

On another thread someone said something like "we all know that the 200R4 is stronger than the 700R4", yet when I check what is available from the performance rebuilders, I can only find a 200R4 rated at 450hp while the 700R4 is rated at 600hp:

http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_104_120/products_id/185

http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_56_112/products_id/199

Also B&M Transmissions only sells a performance 700R4, not a 200R4. I'm just a newbie, but it does seem that more peformance parts are available for 700R4 and with improved internals they can handle 600hp. Also it appears that a Ford driveshaft will fit it perfectly in a 2nd gen.

Of course, I also see 4L80E rated at up to 800hp. (If someone wants to discuss that, we should probably start a new thread and not dilute this great one.)

6. jakeshoe

B&M doesn't even have a trans builder anymore according to an inside source I know.

The 200-4R is a better trans IMO. Not cheap but I can build a 200-4R for up to 800 HP. I wouldn't normally attempt a 700 at 600 HP (but I do have them out there at ~600 HP).

Power flow through a 700 is messed up for performance use.

Many builders can't get a 200-4R right though.

Jake

7. jakeshoe

The myriad of myths on the internet about auto trans (and anything) are a pet peeve of mine.

If you can find a GM Principles of Operation manual for a TH350 they are one of the best resources available. I have them for the 400, 200-4R, and 4L80E and there is nothing as accurate or informative.
    It doesn't show you how to rebuild it, but it explains the operation in detail.

I still study the TH400 book and learn new stuff every time I open it up. It's amazing the "little" stuff most people don't know, even profession builders who have been doing it for 30 years don't know.

8. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

I can totally respect that statement. I will look for the GM principals books. It's pretty easy to just follow directions for rebuilds and other work without fully understanding functionality.

Thanks.

9. 79406RS

79406RS Veteran Member

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you using the same ShiftWorks kit to adapt the shifter to the transmission?
    I found it helped to twist the bracket a few degrees to better align the shifter cable to the shift arm.

It's been several years since I did this mod. This pic is about the best I can do to explain it without crawling under the car to take pics and measurements.

See post #77 of this thread for the original pic.
    (TinyPic lost it. :( )

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021