TH350 trans - only two forward speeds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With engine running and trans in neutral, the horse shoe shifter only moves into two forward running positions before it reaches the physical rear end of the shift assembly.

With shifter as far back as it can go, if I move it forward two positions the trans is in neutral

I don't know if this situation is a recent occurrence

Not installed is the kickdown cable. The kickdown cable was removed in 1979 when some minor modifications were made including a Holly Economaster 4bbl spreadbore with a mechanical secondary. When the trans was rebuilt during this rebuild, intended to retain the Holly so kickdown cable was not installed.

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Chuck
    Have you tried removing the shifter cover plate that’s held on with the 4 screws to see if you can get full travel of all the gear positions?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check the cable adjustment at the transmission and be sure the clip at the end by the shifter is holding the cable in place.

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The center console was not installed when I observed the shifter travel all the way to the back of the shift mechanism

I looked up the th350 in the factory assembly manual but I could not relate what to you wrote to the drawings.
    Don't know how to check cable adjustment. Nothing about it is in the 1971 chassis service manual.

I took some photos of the trans cable. Can you see what you are referencing? Can you see a problem? If so can you guide?
    100_8803.JPG 100_8804.JPG

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

The cable check the cable it could bind

6. 1981 Berlinetta

1981 Berlinetta New Member

looking at the top picture i don't see where the cable bracket bolts to the oil pan. on my 81 and 75, the cable bracket bolts to the oil pan and then the end is attached to the horse shoe like your second picture shows.

MChamp likes this.
  7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ Good Eye!

I agree, the bracket should be attached to the transmission pan with two of the pan bolts and there should be a clip which holds the cable firmly in place to that bracket.

According to this diagram... The cable should be attached to the transmission side of the shift arm.
    upload_2021-7-6_13-16-41.png
    It may be interferring with the back-drive portion of the shift arm the way you have it connected.

There is also a clip (like the one in the diagram) which holds the shifter end of the cable in place on the frame of the shifter.
    If that is missing, the cable won't work correctly.

Attached Files:

MChamp likes this.
  8. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

You guys rock. It's an issue on my to do list as well. I'm feelin' more fuzziers now. \m/