TH350 Valve Body (small) Filters

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ChevyReb, Feb 5, 2021.

1. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So I am installing a shift kit and was watching some youtube videos trying to learn more about what different servos and valves do and saw that there are supposed to be two small filters in the case under the valve body, one in the front and another at the rear.
    I did a search but everything comes up for the big square main trans filter, maybe there is another name for the two small ones?

My trans was rebuilt and I do not see any filters where the arrows in the attached pic point to. Is this fine and most people leave them out, or do I need to source and install these before I bottom it back up. Also what are they they to protect, pieces of clutch material or whatever coming from the trans above the VB?

upload_2021-2-5_11-44-54.png

2. ChevyReb

Anybody know if I need to find and install these small filters or just put it back together and go?

3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Oil pump filter (bigger) in front and governor screen (smaller) in the rear.

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Don't outsmart the engineers, just install them.

5. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

I've done a couple 200's & 350's they never had the screens when I took them apart, so the didn't get any.

6. ChevyReb

Haha called NAPA and said they had the pump filter but not the governor. Drove 15 miles up there yesterday and guys gone in the back for like 5 minutes comes back with a box. I said that looks like a big box for the parts I need. He proceeded to open it and then looked happy as he had the right part, I said thats an oil screen and housing for a sbc engine, NOT a th350 trans lol. He was like oh well we don't have anything like that and gave me a number of a trans shop.

Went to two trans shops one was closed so I left a message. Nice guy called back said he throws those filters away as he went to a siminar years ago that taught if there was stuff in there that needed to be caught the trans needed to come out anyway. I guess you need a rebuild kit or junk trans to get them. Everything looked super clean so I'm not going to worry with them right now. If I see one at the yard I will see if I find some.

77 cruiser likes this.