TH350 Venting Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by NM1989, Jul 3, 2018.

1. NM1989

NM1989 Member

I'll front load this post with I understand I made a mistake installing my new TCI Streetfighter TH350 in my 79 Camaro. Many cuss words and wrenches were thrown. Read below and y'all will understand.

I forgot to install the kickdown cable and left the blue cap that came from TCI. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until after I started the car to fill the fluid. Within less than five minutes of running the car, the transmission was leaking out of the blue cap. That part makes sense to me. I messed up and need to install the kickdown cable (which is going to be incredibly fun to do with the headers and cooler lines to navigate through). What doesn't make sense to me is the transmission started puking fluid out of the vent at the top of the transmission. I pulled the transmission cooler hoses and the cooler is getting fluid on the inlet and outlet.

Does anyone have experience with this and/or made the same mistake I did? I have no desire to retain the kickdown capability so is it necessary to connect the cable or can I just install the kickdown cable housing?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

The last 4 in my vehicles lasted 100,000+ miles each of hard torture and I never hooked up the kick down cable in those TH350's.
    It was attached to seal the leak but not hooked to the carb. A couple of them I just cut the cable short.

Puking out of the vent.
    I had a TH 400 do that when the filter was clogged and needing replaced. Got the car cheap because of it.

That is the only time I seen it happen.

3. NM1989

NM1989 Member

I actually forgot to cover the hole completely. It still had the blue cap from the factory (major newbie move). Im wondering if the open hole caused the transmission to vent fluid for some reason.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Possible over full on the trans fluid to make it come out the vent?

5. NM1989

NM1989 Member

If I fill too quickly could it push out the vent? A couple times fluid came to the top of the funnel on the dip stick. I filled all the fluid that the transmission came with (3gal of TCI quick shift fluid).

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

3 gallons is too much. Should be around 6 to 8 Quarts. Start with 4 then add while running till the level is good. Each time block wheels set E brake the run the shifter through all gears at idle then check level.

NM1989 likes this.
  7. NM1989

NM1989 Member

Budro6968, that is my problem. This was a bonehead moment on my part. I didn't take the time to read through all the specifications. Lesson learned. My plan is to hook up the kick down cable and see where my fluid levels are at. I definitely over flowed the trans.

I appreciate you all taking the time to help.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm a bit late to the party but here's a link from TCI with transmission and converter capacities. I found it to be pretty accurate when I did my 700-R4 install.
    http://www.tciauto.com/tc/fluid-capacity

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

There is a thread on this site with the info too. One way to look at is, you got a flush out of the deal. Reminds me of me doing an oil change on my Dads 66 Skylark. I was around 14. I forgot the oil plug and dumped it all out on the ground. You only do that once.

NM1989 likes this.
  10. NM1989

NM1989 Member

All is well with the Camaro! Got it on the road yesterday shifting through all three gears.

budro6968 likes this.