TH400 from truck fit?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by reinhardt79, Feb 19, 2016.

1. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

Found a th400 in a 1988 2wd crew cab dually. Will it fit in my 79 Camaro? Is it a good choice for drag racing behind a 454? Going low buck, fun weekend toy. Thanks all.

2. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member

TH400 trans will work for drag use. Being a 1-ton truck. It probably has the factory HD sprag. The dually will have a three piece drive shaft and a bolt in yoke in the trans. I believe a slip yoke (std for car one piece shaft) will work fine. TH400 mounts in a different location than the TH350 so an aftermarket or modified crossmember is in order. the TH400 yoke is different also. TH400 is longer than TH350 so different driveshaft length is required. Don't let all this scare you away, it is a fairly common swap. Plenty of information here if you snoop around.

P.S. I have a TH400 behind a 454 in my car. Works very well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a TH400 behind my 383 without issue. Stout tranny. Most say the stock crossmember, (or from TH350), can be shifted back one hole, and drill another set thru the frame for reuse on the TH400. Good luck.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yup. easy peezy. the crossmember is the only thing that gets a little ...fuzzy. Many ways to mod that.

5. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

I'm not afraid of fab work. Machinist work makes me nervous though. Are you saying the driveshaft bolts to the output shaft of the tranny on the truck? If so, how do I make that work with the Camaro?

6. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Have the same 454/TH400 setup in my 72. Just cut off the mount of the 350 crossmember and put it on the backside. Done.

7. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member

You will not have to machine anything. You will need a yoke from a car or van, light truck. Something that has a slip yoke. The dually output shaft will be threaded in the end so the truck yoke can be secured in place. If you use a bolt in yoke in an application that requires a slip yoke you will have a large hole behind the u-joint. A bolt in yoke will have straps holding the u-joint caps on just like on the rear dif. A standard slip yoke should work in a bolt in yoke transmission.

8. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

TH400's come with short tailshafts and long tailshafts. You need the short tail for a Camaro. Proper driveshafts are easy to find. The TH400 was stock behind the 70-72 Big Block cars.

9. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

The tailshaft is the big question mark for fit. B body(Impalas, Pontiac Bonnevilles) had a long tail shaft. can get a short tailshaft and output shaft to convrt.

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the exact same trans you have.From an 88 dually.
    I was told to use it,I'd have to get a special yoke,that is longer to engage right,or buy a new output shaft.