That time of year. Registration renewal

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, Jul 22, 2021.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

It's time to get a new registration for the Camaro. Got the notice about 3-4 weeks ago.
    Tried to make an appointment...LOL! Nothing open for about 3 months. Last time I tried walking in, no appointment, we were there for close to 8 hrs.

I have classic plates so I need to fill out and turn in a mileage affidavit. There is a 5K mile maximum. Last year I asked if I could just mail the forms in and was told no. I had to do it in person. I checked the DMV site and it said I could mail it in. I guess due to covid.

I mailed off the forms and a check, Yes..a check. Just waiting and hoping everything gets done right at the DMV in Carson City.

So, I always write my starting mileage on the new registration and add 5000 to know my max mileage allowed. Taking last year's start mileage and this year's start mileage I can do the math and see how many miles I drove for the year.

It's been steadily declining over the years. The past few years looked something like 1500 mi., down to 1200, then 600. Last year, with covid restrictions and not working. I put a whopping 12 miles on the Camaro.

I believe I haven't driven it since Aug. 2020. It has me considering letting it go and getting something used, more modern, economical, and with all the conveniences.

As it sits now.
    2021Camaro.jpg

2. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

antique PA plate on my 88 Firebird I don't need to do anything EVER again...registered forever for a one time fee many years ago

your Camaro is nice

tom3, 8pack and bodymanbill like this.
  3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

^

Likewise here in MN. Lifetime registration for collector cars. No mileage limitation.

Sorry for those that have to go through what you do to enjoy your rides.

1980RS likes this.
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Same as Mav. One out of 7 I will never have to worry about again. At least we can do ours by mail or on line. Seems we have a registration come in every 15 minutes.
    That's a tough decision you're facing. My Camaro is really the only thing I have that's worth anything. I couldn't buy anything with what the rest of my stuff is worth, but every vehicle serves a purpose. We even have a "Dog Car". lol. So I guess I'll stick with what I got till the wheels fall off.

Zstar likes this.
  5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

I have antique plates here in Illinois with what they call expanded use, no restrictions. Have to renew every year and can be done online. I think it use to be $50 a few years ago and is now $130 ish.
    The other 4 are $150.
    Then you pay for the tolls when you're on the highway, high gas tax etc. The state will get their money somehow.
    Cruising in my Camaro is kinda my stress relief, cheaper than a shrink.

Zstar likes this.
  6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can't wait to see how much trouble it is to register my Camaro in Tennessee . I forsee alot of time doing so !!!

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Plus its better than needing a shrink to deal with remorse the moment it drives away with a new owner :eek:-The money usually gets spent on things that depreciate and soon the money is gone-seen many car buddys go thru that one,we've had our camaros since '87 and '93-Later Steve!!

mrfleet12 likes this.
  8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Figure out how much you would be taking on in payments and put that money into the Camaro. You will have paint, interior and other comforts before you know it.

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When Maverick says you have a “nice car” I always think he’s dreaming about his sawzall and how to cut it up and part it out….Now I can’t sleep….

;):p

Zstar and 351maverick like this.
  10. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

8pack you have a nice car ;)

tom3, 8pack, xten and 1 other person like this.