The best Chinese heads that I have seen to date

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by sooner, Mar 17, 2021.

1. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Had ran out of heads to port, so I picked up these on ebay.

All I can say is that they are very very good out of the box. These appear to use a copper infiltrated seat like the durabond "killer bee".

For a $190 head, these have the best out of the box valve job that I have seen on the Chinese stuff so far.

The valve job transition into the port is impressively smooth and symmetrical. Very little core shift in the ports. The chambers are nice with minimal ridges around the valves..will take very little work to finish the chambers. These would absolutely perform well out of the box.

Needless to say, I ordered 2 more pairs of them first thing this morning.

Port volume measured exactly 200cc's just like I thought it would, as all of these style heads are virtually the same.

2.02/1.60 valves
    Intake throat-> 1.810 (89.6%)
    Intake bowl-> 1.837 (90.9%)
    Exhaust throat-> 1.355 (84.6%)
    Exhaust bowl-> 1.507 (94.1%)

IMG_3601[1].JPG IMG_3602[1].JPG IMG_3603[1].JPG IMG_3604[1].JPG IMG_3605[1].JPG IMG_3606[1].JPG IMG_3607[1].JPG

1980RS and Chevyforever like this.
  2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Is there a link or part #, brand name for these ?

3. sooner

Yessir. Sorry, meant to put it in OP.

EDIT: Removed link. Did not receive the same heads when I ordered more of them. Seller acknowledged that they do sell 2 different heads under the same posting. They were willing to take the wrong heads back free of charge and picked up shipping.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Look really good. It will be interesting to see how the subsequent pairs you receive look. The Chinese aren't that great at consistency sometimes, and that would be my fear in this case.

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing this sooner. It's always interesting what pops up these days. Just wondering if you measured the push rod CSA by chance? looks like the PR boss if fairly aggressive. Also, do you put them on the flow bench to get a baseline and then again after all your porting work?? Not saying the flow bench is a must, but it would expose some trends and tell you what is the fast and slow parts of the port.

I have seen "low cfm flow" ports that are better shaped and balanced make more power than another head/port that was ahead in the CFM/air flow bench challenge.

6. sooner

Cross section at pinch is 2.0x.900 with a .312 radius. I get 1.902 CSA.

I'm planning to start cutting on them today, but just doing the bowls and blending the sides of the short turn into the runner. Ill try to leave one port untouched to flow it, but the trick is going to be finding a bench. Everyone is covered up right now. Just got off the phone with a place around an hour from me and they flat out told me that they didn't have time to flow anything that they are not working on. The place that I took my flotec's for the valve job has 2 benches. When I pick up my heads from there, I am going to see if he will even talk about selling one.

Ill bet you $1 (Canadian or US :)) that they will go 250+ at .500...but with a good .400 number and not back up at the high lifts.
    Hopefully I can get one flowed to share.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I agree with your corner radius by the pic's, but I come in at a 1.7125 CSA, (2.00x.900-.0875) and if you in fact see 250 cfm, that put's you at 146 cfm per sq in @ the pinch, that's the max theoretical number one can hit, you can't stretch the air molecules too fast and you would make more power by slowing this down, pitot is your friend.

That's the reason why the top porter's often get more "usable" power out of some very reputable, highly marketed CNC, much sought after and talked about heads.

Even if they flow less, the bench can't duplicate what's actually going in there.

sooner likes this.
  8. sooner

I was at a very successful head porter's shop last Saturday and saw several (probably 3 pair) of the car show heads there being worked on. They are not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but yes the really good guys can make them run.

Speaking of flow and the correlation to power, Dart and RHS are the ones that always blow my mind. They get smoked on the flow bench by lots of heads, but you put them on a race car and they emit magic dust, wheelies, and mph. Vortecs are another wonderhead that always seem to out run their flow numbers on a good setup.

I've seen you post it before and whole heartedly agree...the flowbench is just another tool.

With all of that being said, I really feel like these heads will flow well and run well.

I roughed the bowls on one head this evening. Going to try to get the other head roughed before I hit the bed tonight. I took off this week to burn up some vacation time, so I do have some time to work on them.

. IMG_3610[1].JPG

roadrace2 and G72Zed like this.
  9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

In most cases when the engine just makes the power it should, and the car performs as expected and makes/runs the number, be it 1320ft or on a oval/road course, more times often than not the head is actually sized correctly for the cubic inch and RPM, the air flow demand is met, and the head delivers just the right amount (& quality) of air that the engine is asking for, nothing more, nothing less.

The cam, CR and complete induction tract are all working in unison and come in on their own at the same times.

Then, the heads appear to be "better than what they show on paper". I am fortunate I can test/port/test and do this multiple times, the take the head from the flow bench and put them on the engine that's bolted to the dyno. Drop it in the car, and go to the track, the track times don't lie, and then you take all that data and put it into context. The shape is everything, I have seen heads that flow well, but sounded bad at higher lifts and depressions and did not perform, some heads sounded good, flowed below average, but made the number on the dyno/track.

sooner likes this.
  10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I bet they are not good for flow out of the box, but with a clean up, 5 angle valve job and a little fineness they could be pretty good heads. They do look like a Dart copy for sure. AT Racing world is a pretty good company to deal with.

sooner likes this.