The correct 1971 Z28 4 speed with console shifter knob, part # 3992558.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by tms7d1z28, Mar 11, 2006.

1. LS1 1971

LS1 1971 Veteran Member

One more quick observation i have noticed also is that GM has been known to keep the same part number and change the look of the item.

2. Z-28COVERCAR

Z-28COVERCAR Veteran Member

tms7d1z28, I posted a thread on this about 3 months ago. I asked the very same question about a 1971 Z-28 4spd w/console. The answers that came back were -----> CHROME BALL. You provided this new - ongoing thread with the part # 3992558. Where did you find this shift knob ?? Is this still available right from GM ?? BOTTOM LINE ----> Where can I get one of these ??
    Marty

3. dalefs

dalefs Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cleaning out the garage today and guess what I found in the parts coffee can that came with my car. The aforementioned ugly black plastic shift knob with no shift pattern. It looks brand new and I'm sure it was the first thing replaced and thrown into a can!

'71 RS/Z28 05A Van Nuys M22/Hurst shifter with console standard interior

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

See my site on this http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/muncie.htm.

I had a 71 Z28 in 1975 and it had a console but had the shift pattern on the knob which was incorrect but the shape was correct. It was not the chrome one. Look at the 71 brochure, it shows the rubber one.

Sales brochure for 71. It's an artist drawing but the point here is that it wasn't drawn as a chrome knob.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  5. Bob R

Bob R R.I.P 11/20/16 Staff Member

You speak the truth and that is what has happened here. The same thing in regards to the Trim Rings and Center Caps from the 1970-1974 Era. You can get the same part today with the same part number from 1970, however it is a completely different item.

My 1971 Z28 4 Speed non Console Car has a Round Black Knob with the Shift Pattern in the knob. It is original as original can get.

Bob R

6. 70 LT1

70 LT1 Member

Don't think you can go by the pictures on the original brouchure. Look at the trim ring on the 5-spoke wheel. Those are just artist renderings.

My 71z non console car also has the original black 2-piece with shift pattern.
    I had an early 71z that I bought in 72, deluxe interior console car and it had the chrome ball. I have yet to see a car with that odd black knob.

John

7. dalefs

dalefs Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think that Chevy would have put something that ugly in the brochure unless it was actually being used on the car. The chrome knob would have done just fine for the brochure. After all, look what they did to the radio knobs, etc. in '71. The plastic shift knob blends in perfectly.

As with everthing, it gets complicated comparing production date, plant location, console, deluxe interior options. The day that the first '71 rolled down the line, did they send all of the chrome knobs to parts? Was there a change mid-year?

I have no other explanation as to why I found this knob in with the parts that came with my car than it was original equipment. My theory on why you don't see many is that buyers probably made the salesman go back to the parts dept. and get a decent looking '70 shift knob before driving off the lot. Perhaps the dealers wised up and replaced them before showing the car.

8. Z-28COVERCAR

Z-28COVERCAR Veteran Member

Can anyone tell me if these might be availible for my 71 or is there anyone
    that has one of these they would be interested in selling ???
    Or do I have to go back to the ol chrome ball ??