The right camshaft

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Newbie112, Jan 12, 2021 at 2:15 AM.

1. Newbie112

Newbie112 New Member

So I have a 350 that has the stock short block, but I will be running double hump 882 heads, with an Edelbrock Performer intake, 750 cfm quadrajet, headers with 2.5 in dual exhaust and the stock torque converter and 3:42 rear gearing. I’m looking for the best hydraulic flat tappet I can get to throw in the mix to help me get as much juice out of this engine so I can take off the line and through acceleration etc. I was looking at the Performer Plus cam but I have heard that it’s barely a step over stock. I was also recommended the Howard Street Force 2 CL112571-12 the only problem with this is that it runs from about 1200-5500 rpm. it’s supposed to be a great cam, however, since I will be running the stock torque converter will It still be able to run pretty damn good? I know it would be nice to have a stall, but I’m just trying to get by with what I got. If not any other cam suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    EDIT: So I see what you mean about the 882s. I do have a set of aftermarket performance heads that are true double jump they have a 64cc not the 2.02 however it’s the 1.94. But those heads won’t be finished for awhile they are a side project at school. If I were to run that Howard cam in the mean time with those 882s and then swap the heads once they are ready were it be a dog or will it run good enough for the time being. I need it to run it’s a daily driver I’m just trying to work the best with what I have at the moment. And spend the bucks on the stuff that I will keep in the motor for when I get the heads finished.
    Edit: the double hump heads I have are 1969 over the counter factory (not aftermarket) performance heads, 64cc 1:94/1:60 don't remember cast # right off but that's what they are. Was told by a local machine shop they are good factory heads to use. The 882s my dad had them on his .060 over 350 with a 350hp cam, Torker 1 intake with Holley 650 double pumper and a 3200 stall 3:08 gears and it pulled really hard in his 78 camaro he had. Anyways wanting to use the 882s until I get my 69 double humps done in school.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021 at 4:23 PM
  2. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

In planning a motor build, Compression and Compression Ratio are very important; head combustion chamber volume and piston crown volume are primary determinants of Compression Ratio.

Too much cam duration coupled with too little compression makes for a disappointing, sluggish street motor. Larger chamber volume with larger piston crown volume typically makes for low compression.

That being said:
    *882 heads have large ~ 76 cc chambers but they are not double hump. FWIW, 882 heads are prone to cracking and, JMO, an all around lousy choice for a performance build. YMMV
    *Double hump heads have small ~ 64 to 66 cc chambers but do not have x882 casting numbers. Double hump heads were made with several distinct casting numbers; none of which are "882" or "x882" or "333882"

The pistons in your stock block 350 could have large or small crown volume; you need to KNOW what their volume is before planning a build.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That Howards cam isn't a bad choice, I would not go any bigger on a stock torque converter.
    Isky has a cam I really like for applications like this 201264/271-12 very similar to that Howards. I've always been impressed with Isky's QC

Newbie112 likes this.
  4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed with Sandlapper....don't expect much from the engine using 882 heads. Those are also known as "smogger" heads. Definitely not performance hardware. Some real closed chamber double humps or a set of Vortecs would be a great match to the rest of what you have....and they're affordable if you're on a budget.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 882's will be fine with that cam for the time being. They won't make a ton of power, but won't cause a problem.

RE Double Hump heads, I wouldn't bother with the swap. They aren't much better than the 882's. Save your money for better heads rather than dumping cash into late 1950's tech

6. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

Newbie112 likes this.
  7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Best all around cam I've found without going radical is that Performer Plus with 1.6 rocker arms. Pretty much max out flow in any stock head and the valve timing is good for low compression engines. Good power to a bit over 5000 rpm and idle good for a converter. Really strong with higher compression.

8. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

MTC-1 is an "RV" cam. Melling also has same cam w/ same dur & lift, but with slightly faster ramps & shorter 110* LSA (pn 22110)
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-22110

fwiw, lotsa companies have same two cams ... probably all ground in same plant ... e.g. Elgin E-923-P and E-1105-P

same story w/ the above Howards cam ... lotsa companies have that same profile as well.

forget the 882 ... me thinks OP needs more compression than 882 ... real humps or vortecs ... EngineQuest (EQ) has very nice heads made in New Zealand.
    EQ used to offer a hybrid w/ vortec style 64cc fastburn chambers but w/ conventional intake flange; perhaps still available?

weiand 8121 is good low-rise intake for vortec flange w/ squarebore carb flange
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8121

edelbrock EPS 2716 quite similar to weiand and more flow & power than a std performer
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2716

biker likes this.
  9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fully agree with this. Even vortec heads will out perform the old double humps, but you're into another intake with vortec's.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Welcome to Nasty Z. After you take a drive with someone who has properly set up set of Vortec heads, you will be amazed at the much better performance of the older style heads.

Newbie112 likes this.