The Rust / Baldwin Movie set shooting

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Gary S, Oct 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

On that note biker,

What gets to me is, they used these guns with LIVE AMMO during down time as you mentioned.........why the HELL did they do that????

Im sure in the USA, a local gun range is within reasonable driving distance, choose the same gun your using on set, fire it off at the range, keep the prop guns separate. Ya I know, shoulda woulda coulda, captain obvious speaking here but still........

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

More like douche-bag to the 10x power.

biker, Dave Nelson and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  3. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

the ONE thing that I have been wondering about is Why there would be "live" Ammo anywhere near the set? This answers that question, but how dumb do you have to be to do it!

roadrace2 likes this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. Its human nature to take risks to do something fun. All it takes is one short sighted gun enthusiast to bring a couple boxes of .38 rounds from home to influence his fellow workers into popping off rounds at beer cans during down time. What could possibly go wrong? None of the prop guns should be available to any of the probably hundreds of site workers, so it's a cascading failure at many levels of responsibility.
    I'm not a gun freak at all, but I love target shooting as much as anybody, and if there is a gun around, that's what I will do. But, I do it safely in the remote area where I live, and maintain control of the area, guns and ammo.
    There is no way that any level of supervision on site should not have caught what was going on. Complacent gun culture.

carr911 likes this.
  5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I have always heard that stupid people don't know they are stupid so that may explain things

Rosster, carr911 and roadrace2 like this.
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Like I said, 100% the armorer's fault. Their only job is to make sure firearms are "safe" on a set and they failed.

I suspect if this was (for example) James Woods in the same situation, most of you guys would be agreeing with me. And don't give me a 'Woods would check every weapon every time' trope. Woods is a professional actor, he follows the protocols on the set. Those protocols specifically prevent actors from doing anything with a firearm that isn't 100% required by the scene.
    You can dislike Baldwin all you want, that doesn't make him (as an actor) guilty of criminal wrong-doing.

First and Foremost, This is a tragedy. A good person is no longer with us or her family. It's awful.

Will the Rust production be sued? Of course, they are insured for such things. Accidents happen on set all of the time. It doesn't make it ok, but it's not as unusual as you'd think.
    Has the armorer destroyed her career? Yep. She'll be lucky to work as a janitor at a Walmart with a gun counter after this. Richly deserved.
    Will the Armorer do jail time? We'll see, it's criminal negligence for sure.
    Can Baldwin personally be sued? Probably not successfully, all major film productions are done as dedicated LLCs. The LLC will protect Baldwin and the rest of the producers financially.
    Will Baldwin be criminally charged? No, while the production was clearly shady, they did have a prop-master/armorer. That person was paid for the function, which they failed at. Had rust moved forward without an armorer at all, this would be a different story.

TTR230 and carr911 like this.
  7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You realize you just keep repeating the same point? I'm particularly amused at the poorly masked construct it's a right vs left argument. Gun safety doesn't care how you vote or who you support. If the gun is in your hand you bear some of the responsibility. I'm not saying it's all on Alec but he's not the innocent dude you're white knighting for.

GoldenOne7710 and chevyJeff1 like this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The construct isn't masked at all... by anyone

berg2695 likes this.
  9. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

This is tragic all around, but it's human nature to have bias. Nobody is unbiased. Alec Baldwin is an unsympathetic character and has stood to be counted amongst those who advocate against a way of life that many on here enjoy and believe in, and because of that, there is a degree of irony involved in the circumstances of what happened. That's pretty much it.Would the tone of this discussion be different if it was a different actor involved? Probably, but that's neither here nor there.

It all has yet to be sorted legally with lots of blame and liability to go around,d and any discussion on the subject is purely academic and not worth getting noses out of joint over.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

So are we just going to forget the original title of this thread even though it had nothing to do with the state? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.