The unbeatable locking lug nuts.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by joel.hunter, Nov 25, 2015.

1. joel.hunter

joel.hunter Veteran Member

When I recently bought my '81, the owner mentioned that he didn't receive the key for the lug nuts when he bought it. In the year or so that he owned it, despite swapping and subsequently removing and installing the entire drive train several times, he never decided to remove the wheels. Unfortunately for me, I need to. The brakes are poo, pardon my language. And I need new rear tires anyways (I wonder why...). The problem is, these damned McGard locking lug nuts have a spinning sleeve on the outside, so you can't use and traditional tools or methods to get them off. Trust me. I've tried. Drilling them from the side is not an option, as there's no clearance. Drilling from the top apparently doesn't get you anywhere. The patterns are semi unique, so I can't just borrow or buy a key. McGard is stubborn and requires "verification" (apparently you get an id card when you buy the nuts) that they're mine and won't send me the key. I don't have a welder. Anyone know how to get these things off? I'd like to avoid going to a shop, because I don't think they can do it and they'll charge stupid money that I (a student) don't have.
    Any tips?

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I had no problems getting a key from McGard when I had the key break. Maybe tell them that. When I was one the phone with customer service, she told me there is only 4 patterns they use for the lock.
    Post a picture of the pattern as I have an extra key if it matches.

3. midascircle

midascircle Member

there are various kits out there to remove them. Barring that you could just beat a socket on it and that sometimes works as well

4. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

I've never had to do this but have heard you can hammer on the correct size socket to destroy the spinning collar than use one of lock removal sockets.

I have also heard that there are a limited number of key combinations and some tire shops will have a complete set of keys.

First choice would be to call the McGard about a replacement key.

5. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

6. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^I think the outer sleeve spins on OP's security nuts.

7. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

Exactly. I have the complete set of those sockets from Craftsman. They work great but with the case of the spinning collar you first need to defeat the collar. BFH and the correct size socket is supposed to take care of that.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

how much access to the lugs do you have? Some wheels hide the lug nuts more than others. In last ditch effort I have used an air chisel to remove them, but you need room

I hate lock lugs. They only stop car owners.

9. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

use a air chisel to remove or jamb up the spinning collar then take it off with a wheel lock removal socket

10. joel.hunter

joel.hunter Veteran Member

I'll try the air chisel, but I don't know if I'll have enough room. Four patterns? I've heard anywhere from that to thousands of patterns. Weird.