Think I'm Done Helping People

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by GoldenOne7710, Sep 6, 2019.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Good friend of mine....known him for about 25 years...called me several weeks ago and wanted to know if I'd be interested in servicing the transmission in his 2003 S10 pickup. I agreed to do it....told him I'd do it for free if he gets the fluid and filter kit. He's in a wheel chair due to a wreck 28 years ago. I've helped him do several things in the past, but years ago.

So...I did the work. Even told him that after it's driven once, he might get his brother-in-law to crawl back under and retorque the pan bolts. We all know, sometimes they need retightening, sometimes they don't, but at least CHECK THEM. It's not his primary vehicle, so it sits for weeks at a time.

A couple weeks after I did it, he texts me. Said he drove the truck, came home and had his brother-in-law check the fluid....it was spot on. I asked him if he at least parked it on concrete at looked for drips. "Nah, I think it'll be OK". This was nearly 4 weeks ago.

Today, he texts me. "Drove the truck for the 1st time (which is a lie) for 10 miles. Fluid is pouring out from underneath. I thought you were at least a half assed mechanic? Brother-in-law crawled under and said the pan was about to fall off".

I tried to call him to remind him of our previous conversations. He answered the phone and immediately hung up. Won't answer my tests either. I swear...even when you do stuff to help people out... He isn't the first person to ask me for help, and I'll do it, then they'll criticize my work when whatever went wrong afterwards wasn't even my fault.

As of now, I don't know what our friendship status is. I'm leaning toward not giving a f*@k.

1972_Z-28 likes this.
  2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

"Former good friend of mine." I fixed it for you. Screw that guy. Very ungrateful.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Ya it seems no mater how you try to help some people they just turn into problems down the road.

chevyJeff1 and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Yep, you're done. :)

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Funk that, I wouldn't have anymore to do with the guy unless there is a spontaneous heartfelt apology. I obviously have no clue what his deal is; maybe something set him off and he took it out on you, but amends would need to be made.

6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

it always seems to be the guys that you cut deals for or favors for are the biggest complainers.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

A month later? What a dick.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

I guess the cliche is true Andy. No good deed goes unpunished.

gpm6367 and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I'll give him a day or 2 to cool off. I'm sure he is/was pissed if there's a mess under his truck. Somebody had to clean it up....and complain about doing it. I kinda understand if he was just in the mood to finger point...doesn't excuse him being a dick.

If he tries to call me, we'll see how it goes. I'll be damned if I try contacting him though.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Good Idea. Give him a little time. Really, how could the pan just be about to fall off? Even if the bolts were barely tight it would never fall off. There are just too many bolts to let that happen. If it was me I would like to take a look at what the problem is. Maybe a good talking to the guy face to face is the way to handle it. 20 plus years is something you don't throw away. Hope all is well. God Bless.