Thinking about a LS swap...

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by BayAreaCamaro, Feb 21, 2010.

1. BayAreaCamaro

BayAreaCamaro Member

I've been giving a LS swap alot of thought lately. After some research, I'd love to have a LS3 with a 4L60E or maybe a 6L60E. I would prefer a T56 or Tremec 6060 but that would require too much fabrication to get it working IMO. I'm looking to have a shop do all the work/fabrication. Are there any reputable fabrication shops in the southwestern U.S. that would be able to do the work correctly.....the first time? How much should I expect to pay for the labor, not including parts? Thanks in advance!

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've heard from our resident tranny guy that the 6L80e is not desirable because of the way it shifts. I'm not sure about the 6L60e tho.

If you're trying to get the best MPG out of your swap, the T56 is the way to go or the Challenger TR6060. T56 from an LS1 F-body has the most desirable (IMO) final ratio of .50 . TR6060 is just a stronger 6 speed capable of IIRC 600lbs ft of torque. T56 = 450lbs ft.

With my 4L60e and a stock 3.42 rear end and 27" tire I got 20-21mpg hwy from St Louis to Chicago

If you're paying a shop to do the full install, you're going to fork out some coin.
    After I paid Speartech $750 to modify my harness and program my PCM, I paid a shop
    to do my LS1/4L60e install with all my purchased parts. I spent around $4,000.....
    That included $550 headers, and a $500 alternator relocation from Speed and Performance.

My oil pump was replaced, MAF, they thought I had a rod knocking, turned out to just be a
    dry torque converter clacking. :rolleyes: This was a Chicago LS performance shop too mind you.

Point is, you should do a parts list so you know what you're getting involved in, then
    decide if you want an LS1/2/3 or a Gen IV Truck LS based engine for ALOT less that
    performs just as good for less initial cost.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is Jake (Dallas) southwest?

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Tucson , Jake is probably due east about ~800 miles.
    ....if he's in around Dallas.

Jake is running a special on LY6's this month NEW for $2500
    and IIRC he said even cheaper with 5 guys to purchase.
    That's for a NEW motor that has the L92 heads......I'd seriously
    look into that if you're starting from scratch and don't want
    a used motor.

To give you an idea of what this motor is capable of, this is a
    write up on the LQ4 engine which is just 2 6.0L models down
    WITH the L92 heads that the LY6 comes with already.
    http://www.superchevy.com/technical...sucp_0806_budget_ls_engine_buildup/index.html

If the LQ4 and LY6 jargon doesn't make sense, this is what I'm talking about.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#Generation_III_2

5. BRPHotRods

BRPHotRods New Member

Fitting in a T-56 should not require cutting the trans tunnel. Maybe some slight "massaging" to gain some clearance as it is a tight fit. After that you would really only have to cut a hole for the shifter. Other than that, our kit is pretty much a drop in procedure with very little modifications to the car itself. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.