Thinking about going Heads-Up Drag Radial

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by procharged 79, May 17, 2007.

1. procharged 79

procharged 79 Veteran Member

My original intent with my 79 Z was to go heads up in Limited Street, but by the time I got my slow ass in gear, my junk was outdated and under powered. I threw in the towel on that idea, but now the desire to do it with a stock suspension drag radial set-up has stirred me up and I feel I have enough power to run with them. If I choose to do this, my problem is I have to loose the ladder bars and put the leaf springs back on and go with a bolt on style traction bar. My car's rear frame is notched and mini tubbed, but I need to relocate the leaf spring mounts inboard for a tad more clearance. Anybody ever relocate their springs for more clearance and if so how much wheel/tire were you able to tuck in. I'd like to stuff a 315 on a 11 or 12 inch wheel if possible. Also what are your thoughts on bolt on traction bars. Who makes one that can handle roughly 1400 HP in a 3200 pound car?

TIA,

Rob

2. TNT

TNT Veteran Member

Either way you need to run 7s to compete. I would keep the ladder bars. You will go faster with them and be more consistant. Leaf springs are a floppy mess. I never found a way to relocate them on a second gen.

3. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

I have a set of Moroso (now comp engineering) weld in frame connectors hanging on the wall that relocate the leafs, they'd be even with the factory front frame horns and give you quite a bit of clearance. They're designed to work with the new frame rails. Whether or not that particular setup would be effective needs to be determined, but other than labour the the rails and connectors are pretty cheap.

4. procharged 79

I wish they would let us keep the ladder bars but its a stock suspension only class and will only allow bolt on tracton bars.

5. Smokin70SS

Smokin70SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Caltracs seem to be the norm for leaf spring DR cars around PSCA Wild Street. There in the 7's on a good track with the right weather. You could make your own link type traction bars as well.

6. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Devils own training ground,,, aka Arizona
    All I can say is it doesn't matter what class, you heads up guys better have DEEP pockets to stay competitive. The headsup ranks evolve at the speed of light these days. WHat is cutting edge and competitive today, will be yesteryear technology and barely competitive by mid season. I don't know how you guys do it. I can't keep one combination tuned and tweeked, let alone one that changes every couple of months!

7. procharged 79

Well I don't know about every couple of months but you are right, they do evolve pretty quick. I just got back from the ORSCA race in Atlanta and all those guys were flying. I saw Lynch go 178 MPH in the 8th and it landed him in the number 3 spot, lol. In the drag radial class the number one spot was David Reese with a 4.89 at 155, now that's haulin when you figure in a radial tire, stock suspension car and weighing 3200 pounds. Out of approximately a dozen drag radial cars, only 2 were leaf sprung cars and neither one was competitive. Not sure if it was the type of suspension or lack of power but the fast cars were using the trailing arm type suspension found on the Mustangs or GM "A" body and there was one fast 3rd gen Camaro. At any rate, I'm second guessing the leaf spring deal. I think I'll stick with my ladder bars and find something else to build a drag radial car if I decide to jump in.

Rob

8. BIGBADBOWTIE

BIGBADBOWTIE Veteran Member

Rob..I knew you could not keep it as a street car.
    That Red Monte Carlo of Stacks is amazing.

9. procharged 79

Ray, not sure if I can do it with this car, but I might look at doing another Camaro or (heaven forbid I say this) a Mustang ;) . I just don't have the confidence in a leaf spring car to get the et needed to run with these guys. Stack is a bad boy for sure and a well deserved champion, but the Reese brothers put everybody on notice that EZ Street is going to be a war :cool:

10. BIGBADBOWTIE

BIGBADBOWTIE Veteran Member

I have to admit that if I were to build a competative EZ car it would be either G-body or a Mustang.

ADRL is here next week.... Ill be front and center!!!:bowtie:

Keep us posted Rob!