thinking of getting a Dodge Durango for DD

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by cali cruzer, Dec 22, 2013.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

Figure there may be some Dodge owners reading.
    I like the body style of the first gen Durango. Found a decent looking 99 Dodge Durango locally. It would fill our need for a SUV and my daily driver along with an occasional trip to Ca. with the 2 Labs.
    It's a V8, auto,140k, 2whl drive, SLT . Plan to look at it tomorrow. Anything I need to ask or specifically look at/for?
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

They had a recall on front ball joints (not sure if it was 2wd,4wd or both).
    I am not sure when the 4.7L came out, but if it has the 5.2 or 5.9 v8, they had intake plenum gasket issues (gasket blows out, oil gets sucked into manifold, oil fouls out O2 sensor and cat if not caught in time).

HVAC mixer had issues with a broken vacuum hose, if it is stuck on defrost, plan on tearing thru the dash.

5.2/5.9 motors expect around 12-14mpg

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Rust, front hubs, balljoints.

But they are safe as can be. I have recovered a few high speed accidents where the durango is destroyed but the driver walked away.

4. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There is a reason they were classified as "clunkers" by the government buy-back program a few years ago ;-)

5. marks LT

marks LT Veteran Member

I had a 99 and never had any issues really but I would have felt lucky if I got 12 mpg mine was more like 10mpg

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

The 4.7's got better mileage but are super prone to oil sludging/coking issues if not well maintained. Other than that they are about as good as any other suv.

7. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a 2000 model company car. At 67K the tranny went out.

8. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My sister had a 99 I think it was, with the Magnum V8 4 wheel drive, it was dependable until my other system totaled it. :D but it got crap for gas mileage.

9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

They are okaay SUVs. What engine does it have? 3.9? 4.7? 5.2? 5.9? The first generation Magnums do leak on the intke. This shows up as really dirty oil (like a GM 4.3) and low coolant. One thing to remember about Chrysler automatics. They don't like to be hot rodded. To get overdrive into a case the same size as earlier transmissions, everything had to be made lighter duty. That's why 4 cylinder minivans never lose transmissions and the V-6 ones go through them like candy. Mechanically, it's a Dakota. The doghouse is the same but the rest of the body is completely unique.

10. troutman

troutman Veteran Member

A coworker of mine has an older model needing an expensive tranmission, so it sits in his yard for years to come.