This just in.. camaro found, was stolen in 1975/ Hope it's not any Nasty members..

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Rich_NEPA, May 13, 2011.

1. Rich_NEPA

Rich_NEPA Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow... that's insane, and I drive through Santa Maria almost daily.

3. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

I saw that this morning and was amazed that they could track it back that far since its been so long since its been stolen.

4. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

5. prosuperstar5

prosuperstar5 Veteran Member

This story is crazy. Unless the ebay seller tried saying that camaro was completely original why would anyone freak out over an engine swap, I mean its almost guaranteed to not have an original engine is those years of cars anymore. They got lucky with that situation.

6. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, in my opinion there's often not a 'fair' conclusion to these situations. Either the car goes back to the original owner and the new buyer is screwed out of cash, or the new owner keeps the car and the original owner doesn't recoup his car.
    I vaguely recall a story a couple years ago about a guy that had a truck(?) stolen decades ago, and the new owner was told to keep it since it had been so long, etc. That was cool.

But I'll tell you right now.. if my Camaro was stolen, I don't care how long afterwards, I'd be wanting it back. Regardless of condition.

I know for a fact I could buy another 71 Camaro in great condition, sell my hulk and have way less work to do or money to spend... but I dont.

In fact, my all time favorite car has been a 57 Nomad. I just recently heard of a Nomad I could possibly get my hands on, but I can't give up my 2 door sedan; I'd miss it!

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I think this is a typical article written by someone that knows nothing about cars...

I own a numbers matching GTO, and have been at several shows with other cars that also have the correct engines.

But the article states that Maffucci had a 1969 Camaro SS and later states the car originally had a 6 cylinder. That's not possible.

I think what happened here - the seller claimed it was a '69 SS. The buyer when he decoded everything realized that it wasn't and rightfully alerted the authorities.

In this case the purchaser was insured - so he's only out the transportation costs. The seller is out the money and the car - as the car is legally the property of Maffucci.

As far as the seller goes, I come up with 2 primary scenarios:

1. He knew he was selling a clone but didn't disclose it - I have no sympathy for him.

2. He bought this car thinking it was an SS - shame on him for not doing any basic research.

When I bought my GTO - I did plenty of research before I even went to look at it. To complicate things - in 1964 the VIN doesn't tell you it's a GTO - it only tells you it's a LeMans. The only way you can prove it's a GTO is with the build sheet - that wasn't in the car. But I was pretty sure it was real after checking out several key "tells". But I only paid $600.00 for the whole car and the hood alone was worth more than that...:cool:

8. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

You are giving far too much credit to AP, yahoo, PMSNBC story writers (as they really aren't journalists) of knowing anything about 69 Camaros, SS 350 or 396. vs 250 straight 6.

9. SLO_Z28

SLO_Z28 Veteran Member

These stories always make print very incomplete. The guy buys a 69 Camaro with a 427 represented as a SS. Get it and decodes it only to find out it isn't a SS at all, at this point he questions the integrity of the VIN. He goes to the local PD to have the VIN verified and they tell him to pound sand because they're lazy. He then goes to the CHP where the VIN officer actually does his job and gets the secondary VIN numbers and enters it into the NCIB database that has every car ever stolen in it.

When they find the original owner they hang up on the auto theft officer (also a chippie) because they think its a prank. The CHP then has a local PD officer meet with the owner to assure her its real. The original owner has no interest in the car, and no desire to retrieve it. The CHP officers then send her pictures of the car that has undergone an "extensive restoration", and the original owner wants it back now.

Kudos to the CHP officers Lewis and Johnes for another 10851(stolen vehicle) recovery!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Update:
    In a shocking turn of events, the CHP officer on scene, informed the new owner that she was being cited for modified exhaust and no smog equipment. When asked why they issued the citiation, the officer stated, "Just because it's older than 1975 and exempt from bi-annual exemption, it doesnt mean you can remove the original smog equipment, the law is the law." j/k

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011