This may seem strange

FNFAL308

Veteran Member
Nov 20, 2008
Montgomery, TX
With it taking so little to break the clutches loose, I suspect something more. I'll still change clutches, but I'll remove the carrier and check it out closer.

FNFAL308

Veteran Member
Nov 20, 2008
Montgomery, TX
Tires, ujoints, axle bearings all less than 5 miles on them. Pinion and carrier bearings had no slack that I could discern. Gears looked good but I may have missed something.

What keeps coming back to my mind is an old alxe bearing may have flown down that tube into the center section. The axle bearings were destroyed coming out. Three were actually in the tube near the ends. If one had gotten between the ring gear and the housing? Or between carrier and housing? I'll know soon enough as its coming apart next chance.

I have a complete bearing set. Just need gears and clutches if it comes to that

FNFAL308

Veteran Member
Nov 20, 2008
Montgomery, TX
Tires, ujoints, axle bearings all less than 5 miles on them. Pinion and carrier bearings had no slack that I could discern. Gears looked good but I may have missed something.

What keeps coming back to my mind is an old alxe bearing may have flown down that tube into the center section. The axle bearings were destroyed coming out. Three were actually in the tube near the ends. If one had gotten between the ring gear and the housing? Or between carrier and housing? I'll know soon enough as its coming apart next chance.

I have a complete bearing set. Just need gears and clutches if it comes to that

Latest posts