This time it is the Japanese cheating

AnotherWs6

Apr 20, 2016
Westchester County, NY
harbone66 said:
Hyundai and Kia did the same thing 3 or 4 years ago and had to reimburse owners based off their average miles driven per year
Mitsubishi just closed the local plant that was here for almost 30 years. After the 0 down, 0% interest and 0 payment for the first 2 years deal they ran in 2000 that bit them in the ass after customers just started turning their 2 year old cars back in the company just started a nose dive that they have never been able to pull out of.
The local Mitsubishi dealer that I started working for in 1988 is the largest selling dealer in the United States, not saying much at about 40-50 new Mitsubishis a month.
I would dare to say within a year that Mitsubishi will completely pull out of North America.

That always struck me as the craziest S in the world. I put myself in the buyers seat..... I drive a car every day for two years, now it's got some scratches, it doesn't smell quite brand new, maybe I haven't changed the oil as often as I can, etc etc and the NEW CAR!!! feel is totally gone. Now you want me to start paying for the fng thing?!?!?!?!? How depressing is it to start making new car sized payments on a used car that will be paid off after 7 -8 years of ownership. You'd be in the hole until the thing was worth $1,500. So you can finally sell it and start that all over or something? rant rant rant.

I know you work for a dealer Chris, is it that Mitsubishi dealer still?

harbone66

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 15, 2011
Central Illinois
AnotherWs6 said:
That always struck me as the craziest S in the world. I put myself in the buyers seat..... I drive a car every day for two years, now it's got some scratches, it doesn't smell quite brand new, maybe I haven't changed the oil as often as I can, etc etc and the NEW CAR!!! feel is totally gone. Now you want me to start paying for the fng thing?!?!?!?!? How depressing is it to start making new car sized payments on a used car that will be paid off after 7 -8 years of ownership. You'd be in the hole until the thing was worth $1,500. So you can finally sell it and start that all over or something? rant rant rant.

I know you work for a dealer Chris, is it that Mitsubishi dealer still?

Cory,
No, I worked there from 1988-1990. Then went to the Champaign Mitsu store from 1990-1994. Went to a Dodge store after that for 10 years then onto a multi line store that included Mitsu from 2005 to 2014 till I quit and landed at a Nissan, Hyundai and Kia store back near home.
My original boss of 26 years still owns that store in Normal but now that the neighboring Mitsu plant is closed, it makes you wonder how much longer its gonna last?

dirtmod08

Veteran Member
Jan 17, 2007
Central Illinois
Nothing new, all the .manufacturers fudged the hp numbers in the 70's. If you buy a car off the published sticker, you're a fool anyway - especially with all the resources available these days.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
nads70 said:
I've owned about every brand of "common" car ( no Bugatti's or anything) and have personally never had a vehicle that got close to the MPG stated by the manufacturer.

Must be your driving style.

I've been able to meet or exceed the MPG rating on virtually every car I've owned since they implemented the mileage ratings.

And that's a lot of cars driven a lot of miles...;)

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The Champ said:
Must be your driving style.

I've been able to meet or exceed the MPG rating on virtually every car I've owned since they implemented the mileage ratings.

And that's a lot of cars driven a lot of miles...;)

It seems to be hit and miss. From my experience, most of my cars got pretty much the mileage they were rated at. I even had one that got far better mileage than it was rated at.
I have had a series of 1980s Caprices. They were rated at 22mpg highway. All but one got that 22mpg if driven right. That one '85 Caprice consistently got 28-29 on the highway and a nice 17 in stop and go traffic. I hated to see that one go. I still would like to recreate that car. I have the carb, distributor, and ECM from it in my garage and wonder what would happen if I put those parts on another '85 Caprice I still own.

AnotherWs6

Apr 20, 2016
Westchester County, NY
Does a mile or two per gallon really make all that much of a difference? But while I say that I suppose a lot of non-car people probably use mpg when comparison shopping. Personally, I buy what I like and deal with the mileage good or bad. For some strange reason they always seem to be powered by Chevrolet V8's. :bowtie: ;)