Thoughts on soda blasting underside to remove rust?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Rosster, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

621F0926-4372-47EA-B3FA-4C2AD92E36A6.png I’m preparing to begin restoration on a 70 z28. There is some flash and slightly heavier rust on the underside, mostly near the rear axle and back floor panels. No perforations but still needs to be stopped before more damage.

Now, to my question. I was thinking it might be most advantageous to just drive the car somewhere and have the underside soda blasted. I understand that the car is rinsed with a rust inhibited water to prevent flash rust And remove particles so that I can apply a primer afterwards then began a body on restoration. I’m planning a daily driver so not doing a rotisserie budget restoration (at this time).

has anyone else ever done this? Any concerns or issues? Just trying to avoid hours on my back underneath with a sander and wire brush and don’t want to deal with the mess of sandblasting.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Is this a resale or restoration? Rattle can works wonders.
    If rust is an issue the sub-frame needs removal

3. Rosster

This is for my own personal use, as a nice weekend driver but not show concours condition. I’ve got all the equipment to paint but really am interested in whether soda blasting is a good approach for removing surface rust. Likely will use a self etching primer after all is cleaned and prepped..

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I'd check for someone that can come to you and do soda blasting. Driving it somewhere you have to deal with all the exhaust, driveshaft, fuel tank, suspension, etc in the way. I'd prep the car in my driveway by removing those items, then having it blasted, or you can do like I did. I bought a harbor freight 20 gallon sandblaster for about $125 and did it myself. As far as a finish for once it is done, I'd use Southern Polyurethane Inc (SPI) epoxy primer, it is self etching. No need to paint once it is done, it is a tough finish, can get it in black, red oxide and I believe a white or gray color. Sine your going to make it a daily driver that would be a good time to go through the rear suspension and replace the rubber bushings.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

JMO, but I never had any luck with soda to remove rust. It's good for removing paint, etc. For rust you need a more aggressive media, like sand, black beauty. From the pic it looks like you would be wasting your time with soda. Maybe do like grzewnicki did if there isn't much deep rust.

6. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Soda don't remove rust. The only thing better I've found than pressure washer sandblasting is Evaporust. It just plain works. They now have a clinging version you can apply vertically that would work great for your situation.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you don’t want to do it restoration style, you might be better off with a rust encapsulation product like POR.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

evapo-rust does work wonders, but no for deep rust scale and for the gel it can get very pricey! I would pay $100 to a mobile sand blaster before I dropped $50 on evapo rust.

9. Rosster

Thanks all for your comments!