Thoughts on the 2004R

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Gasoholic, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I found a rebuilt 2004R trans for 1200$ Local guy.
    Its an Art Carr trans? He says it should handle 800hp.
    Any thoughts on this?
    I've been considering either a 700 R4 or THM 400.
    I'm eventually trying to make 700hp with either a tall deck big block, or boosted LS3. Boosted as in whipple, or maggy.

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Art Carr is 'known' for his 200's. But it takes a lot to make one work at 800 ponies. Most other builders will say it's 4L80E territory. You're looking into theee different directions. What are your plans with the car?

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That would be a pretty good deal if you could verify it was built by Art Carr and the condition. Just me, but I'm really leery of buying used transmissions. On the bright side, the 2004R is same dimension at a TH350, so there are no modifications required to swap.
    If you're going to run a 700hp LS, then a 4L80E would be the way to go. IMHO

budro6968 likes this.
  4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

My setup is in the 700ish hp range and the 700R4 was beefed up to supposedly handle 750 hp did not last too long even with the extra clutches and mods but i do get on this this frequently. Trans guy's suggest if i am going to run this thing hard to go to a TH400 "cheaper to rebuild" or a 4l80e but these will cost a few bucks to put in.

5. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I have a couple different ideas and not sure which way I'm going to go yet.
    I have a LS3 long block in my garage right now kind of just taking up space. If I decide to use it, in order to make 700hp I need to boost it. It will need some work done to do this. Gets really expensive and need help tuning and all. I've been down this road before on another LS3 so I kind of already know what to expect with hp and cost and all.
    I'm almost thinking I can build a big block for around the same money and have less headaches. The GM 572/720R I drool over this motor. Obviously I can't afford the crate version, but I've been shopping around and I can get the parts and have the machine work done, balancing and clearancing, I just have to put it together and it would cost about the same as the blown LS3. The LS3 has a weight advantage, but the big block has the, "its a freaking big block" appeal.
    In any case I want to eventually make 700hp+ and run my car in some open competitions at our local strip. Whatever avenue is the least expensive and/or the least difficult. I'm still in the process of deciding.
    I want it to be dependable and un complicated. Don't care if I win any races, just want to be able to do it over and over without stuff braking all the time.
    I know I'm probably asking for too much :)

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

so is your preference a 4 speed?

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

"I want it to be dependable and un complicated"

There is your answer.... Th400 or 4L80e if you want/need an overdrive.

77 cruiser and Bandit723 like this.