Thoughts on this block stamp?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Rosster, Oct 3, 2021.

1. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I was at that auction and unless the buyer did a heck of a lot to that car it wasn’t all that. I thought the $46K was a lot of money but it was matching numbers

2. Patrick Modrell

Patrick Modrell New Member

Were you able to see the code on the block at that auction? If it was an automatic it should have "CTC" stamped on it and also in front part of the VIN number.

3. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

In trying my best to look at the broach marks, I feel it is most likely a restamp. The alignment doesn't bother me as much, as the second example has its own alignment issues. Depth of the stamping is a bit harsh as well.

4. Patrick Modrell

Back to the suspicious block - what is the casting number? Casting number/date is the best way to id a block. Any idiot can stamp numbers on a block but can't change the casting number/date code on the back of the block. "CTC" was even used on 74' 400ci and 78' 305. The "V0511" just tells me it is a Flint plant on May 11th but what year??

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

That CTC stamping in the original post has been altered for sure. Not legit!!

6. Patrick Modrell

With the casting number and date code, could probably really call the bluff.