Throw out bearing retainer with groove.

Mrwalleyeman

Feb 26, 2020
I am having the clutch replaced in my z28 4 speed and the shop called about the throw out bearing retainer. It has a groove in it but not sure if it’s a factory deal or not. I replaced the clutch several years ago and the groove was there then. I am not if its an easy part to replace or fix, if it isn’t factory. Some help would be great.

Attachments

• 7938FA88-0F60-4CA2-A937-E251369D9BF4.jpeg
    7938FA88-0F60-4CA2-A937-E251369D9BF4.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 77

72SS9681

Jul 20, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
Wow! I've never seen a grove like that on a bearing retainer I'm assuming its from years of use but I've never had one wear like that. Is the clutch fork bent or clutch linkage putting pressure on the fork at a strange angle? In my mind something is putting a sideways pressure on the bearing causing the throw out bearing to dig into the retainer. Summit has several aftermarket ones, otherwise I would think ebay would be your only option for an original.

Mrwalleyeman

Feb 26, 2020
Throw out bearing was fine. No weird wear on it, It did slide on it pretty freely which was odd. Like I said it was there several (20plus) years ago when I replaced the clutch. I just thought it was normal.

72SS9681

Jul 20, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
I would change the retainer that's definitely not normal wear. Should help the clutch work a little smoother. I'm assuming you changed the throw out bearing years ago with the clutch maybe the original caused the strange wear? At any rate 20 years for a clutch is pretty good, If you get another 20 out of the new one I'd would be pretty happy.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
the retainer is easy to swap. 4 bolts and a little tap tap hammer...

TIP: before installing NEW bearing retainer....make sure it fits your bellhousing!!;) The chinese have been known to miss a couple dimensions here and there and is MUCH easier than holding the tranny up there wondering WTF it will NOT go in all the way.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
The old TO bearings had an inside groove for grease. The replacements barely have anything. My guess is that the groove is for extra lube for the TO bearing.

old on L side
throwout_bearings_908244_15680264_a.JPG

Last edited:

Mrwalleyeman

Feb 26, 2020
Thanks for all the replies. When I did the clutch 20 plus years ago I did replace everything. Like I said above when I did it I thought the groove was normal.
I would like to get another 20years out of this one but I think the car will get driven more here soon. I have to teach my son how to drive it so he can drive it to school. I dont want him driving my Platinum f250.

Daniele Silvaggi

Dec 15, 2020
I just rebuilt my Super T10 and mine does not have a groove in it. I have never seen that before either.

Attachments

• Bearing Retainer.jpg
    Bearing Retainer.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 33

Daniele Silvaggi

Dec 15, 2020
I am having the clutch replaced in my z28 4 speed and the shop called about the throw out bearing retainer. It has a groove in it but not sure if it’s a factory deal or not. I replaced the clutch several years ago and the groove was there then. I am not if its an easy part to replace or fix, if it isn’t factory. Some help would be great.
The groove looks to be almost all the way through the tube. This is the same part number as your old bearing and it seams to have a groove wow!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts