Tim and Allen's '73 LT z06 Build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by AllensaurusRex, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Shane509

Shane509 New Member

Hey Allen I have owned this car 2 separate times and am located about 1.5hr from you. I would love you give you some history on the car if you interested. Great progress with the car...

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much of the right side tires was on the lift? Looks like it's ready to fall off.

3. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

It probably was the car up in SC! I just spoke with Shane who owned the car 2 times. Got some great history on the car! And yeah it does look like it is going to fall off. Glad it didn't!

4. AllensaurusRex

5. Shane509

Shane509 New Member

Sounds Great guys.....glad to see she is getting the attention she deserves after all these years.... can't wait to see the finished product.

6. AllensaurusRex

9/27/16

Still trailering her around because she runs a tad rough. The engine bogs down when the clutch engages/disengages. Likely just needs tuned.

Found a body and paint guy and trailered her up to Mike Johnson in Shelbyville, TN. Saw some of his work at a local car show and was beyond impressed. :bowtie: At first I thought I was going to do Laser Red Metallic Pearl but it ended up looking too strawberry/pink in the sun. In the shade it looked perfect but in direct sunlight it just looked off. It looks good in the photo below, but if I turned the card a tad...I didn't like it.

[​IMG]

Here she is in Mike's shop. You can see the Fender gap looks pretty good but the horizontal line down the side is still off. :screwup: AKA - that's why it is at Mike's shop. :bowtie:

[​IMG]

Wonky front end :screwup: :confused:

[​IMG]

Mike and I working out the details in the back. Again, you can see the horizontal body line is off.

[​IMG]

And this is the color I decided on. Mike did the body work and painted this 69 Camaro about 4 years ago. The color is Cinder Red. I would classify it as 80% metallic red and 20% copper/rust. Truly is a beautiful color/quality paint & body work. I'll be doing black stripes. I also don't mind those riddler wheels...:crazy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AllensaurusRex

And of course had to snap this beauty. Notice the chrome coolant reservoir to the left of the radiator. Still need to hook up windshield wipers/finish the intage air set up. Also installed a clutch bleeder extensions the comes into the engine bay. When I was bleeding the clutch I stripped the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. I ended up taking it to a trans shop and paid 300$ for them to install a new one. It was a reasonable price and I was pretty over it by then.

[​IMG]

8. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Allen, is your front sheetmetal goodmark ? My valence fit the hood just as yours did until I twisted and bent it beyond belief. The valence wasn't sitting "square" so to speak to my hood!

9. AllensaurusRex

It is whatever came from ss396. It was the entire ralley sport kit for $1,800. Fits terribly.

10. AllensaurusRex

10/01/2016

Mike called and explained that the after market hood fit terribly. Was off by more than 3/4 inch from center to side. Ended up calling another local Murfreesboro Camaro owner who happened to have 2 hoods laying around (traded our hoods straight up). Also ended up selling him some 1970 Camaro seats and other nick nacks that I had laying around.

Pa, Mike, Randy and the new hood. Barely fit in the back of the 2016 Silverado.

[​IMG]

Back at Mike's shop. I don't have any great pics of the old hood (black) and how far it was off, but it definitely was causing some issues. The new hood (blue and white) was a stock hood from a 73 and fit much better (although much heavier).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ugly gap on the left

[​IMG]

The Urethane nose fits like crap too (as projected). Mike was able to get it VERY close..still has a little massaging to do around the sides. Looking a hell of a lot better than we ever got it to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fender/Door gaps looking better

[​IMG]

Another interesting part. The hood latch/spring mechanism. Since I sold my old original hood that came off my car I didn't have this mechanism. (bone head move - thought I was going to go with a 2 inch cowl and ended up not). Pops found an 80 model in a junkyard and it worked fine.

[​IMG]

ALL THE DIFFERENT COLOR PANELS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]