Time to finally sell the '80Z. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Mitch'80Z, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Mitch'80Z

Mitch'80Z Veteran Member

Well the time to come my 1980 Z/28 has finally come. I have enjoyed 14 years of ownership but it's time to move on. I am hoping that the members can offer me some advice on how to get a good sale price.

It has 49K miles and has the original 350 block and 4 speed. The engine has a mild build. The paint is newer and excellent. A professional shop took it all down to metal and did a beautiful BC/CC. It has pretty much every option except T-tops. The color is black (original color) with red/orange decals (original color) and dark carmine red interior (original color). There is no rust to speak of and underneath is excellent.

There are a few things that need addressed like the AC (it will not hold a charge), the factory radio needs the inside contacts cleaned, and the a few interior panels could use some fresh dye. It starts right up and runs well but puffs a little bit of oil. I suspect a valve seal needs replaced.

Other than that, this is a reliable show-ready. What advice could you offer on its sale?

Thank you.

2. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

this time of the year is not good

3. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

Given the color combo, 4-speed, and no T-tops, I would think you should have good luck selling...even with the time of year. If you're willing to put up with the chance of a few tire-kickers, I'd start by placing it in a metro-area Craigslist nearest you, or post it up here (more formally) on Nasty...with your price per forum rules.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. Harleywood

Harleywood Member

I posted my 71 on craigslist two weeks ago and I posted it here too. Luckily I got some good news soon after and didn't have to sell it. I got a few good offers really close to asking price and I probably would have taken one of them but I already knew at that point that I didn't have to sell anymore so I held out for asking price. I didn't sell it but I really didn't want to I just thought I was fixing to be short on cash for kiddos college tuition. There were a ton of calls for trades, I don't have the cash now but I'm working on it, use our service to sell for 20% of the sale price ect... I was surprised no one asked for a test drive. Even the ones who made offers didn't ask. The answer of course would have been no. Collectors insurance. I'm the only authorized driver and you can't drive it and be covered for any damages. I think the market is still hot. The best advice I can give you is to give yourself plenty of time to sell. Don't be in a rush to get it gone. There's a limited number of these cars out there and the number is even smaller for one's that are in good shape and can be driven daily. Put your ads out there. Everywhere. As many websites and classic car sales BBs's as you can. They typically will sell out of state. If you've got a good one, hold out, the right buyer will come along.

5. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

A good time to try and sell is when everyone is getting their income tax returns.