Times are getting tougher....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Keizer, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    Not just ghetto Stace, I installed a steel screen/storm door, ya know the kind heavy duty to keep the bad guys out. I tell folks that come to the door its for their safety, not mine ;)

Our big red dog Rusty (RIP) would attack the wheels of the lawn mower, was kinda funny at first until she got hold of it and picked the damn thing off the ground. I instantly let go and it shut off, I could only imagine the vet bill if things went wrong. She was no longer allowed out while I mowed the lawn. (That was before I got the lawn tractor)
    That's fairly typical of the protective nature of the breed to defend the pack from harm. Odin was doin his job.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I live in the country. Real nice quiet area. Some of the typical methheads running around, so you want to make sure your stuff is secured or guarded.

A big meathead bully dog loafing around the shop is a good deterrent. Crackhead comes in to case the place during daylight will see big dog hanging out in shop and think "That's a big arse pitbull".

If something goes bump in the night, I turn the dog loose while I get my shoes on and my night vision fired up :cool:

It's usually a raccoon, oppossum, skunk, cat, etc.

A pitbull isn't really a natural "guard" dog like a Rott, Doberman, Mastiff from what I've studied. I think the "bully" breeds like the Gotti may be better because they probably have some Mastiff bred into the line.

We all get a kick out of this dog. He's still a rambunctious mutt sometimes, not completely out of the puppy stage. I wouldn't have bought him had I known we would also have a newborn in the house. We've been real cautious when we get them in the same room because the newborn is so small and he's so big and playful. He also seems to be protective of her even though we don't let him interact much with her.

The breeder told me that he wouldn't be a "serious" dog until he was a year and a half old. He was right on.

3. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't be friendly either at 11pm... WTF?

I've only seen my bully territorial once inside the house. She had me scared, even though she hopped up and stood over me. I saw in that moment that there was NOTHING getting to me unless it was through her.

There was one other time that a german shepard charged at us. She pushed past me to get in front, and deflected that dog like it was nothing.

Then a couple months ago I awake to a fender in my garage falling over. Looked at her, and she wasn't concerned at all. I swear I don't know how she seems to know when there's something to fear or not.

4. cyberswap

cyberswap Veteran Member

i think doug was talking more in the lines of a crackhead or smash and grab type of thief.

a professional could take advantage of course...but i would think doug is right when it comes to small timers. or rapist, random murderers ect.

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They were dubbed the Nanny Dog for decades prior to the media lumping every bully looking breed into the Pit Bull Type statistics.

Just can't wrestle around with them near kids because they forget they are
    there and focus on the person to play with. Then they knock the kids over....lol
    Chopper lets my 4 year old pull him around by his collar......which actually shocked me so soon.

Speaking of Guard dogs.....
    I was checking out the BoerBoel earlier, a mastiff bred specifically for home defense.
    I was also incorrect in thinking the Rotties had the most powerful bites, turns out it's the mastiffs that do.
    However, to the typical untrained LEO eye......it's going to get lumped in as another "Pit bull type"

That's some big turds to pick up after.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey, the cops here in Paso are nice...

...what? too soon?... :p :innocent:

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:eek: :eek:

8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Of course they do. I was talking about cars. It takes a ferry to get a car on and off the island.

And yes, I'm an honest man, but I'm also a paranoid sort. I'm not naive about bad things that can happen in the world. Do you think I have all these guns because I'm unaware of the workings of the criminal mind? :D

9. pinoaktwh

pinoaktwh Member

Hey man, I meant no ill will toward you on that comment.

10. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

No biggie!