timing chain which one to run????

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by purpleflame, May 8, 2008.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

what chain should I run stock or heavy duty double roller. I was told the LT1 motors dont need a double roller but I am running a LT4 package heads,intake, and a stroked (396) block, with a huge cam 268 duration/638 lift. also already have the electric pump and using a distributor over the opti.
    so could go the double roller but wouldnt a single roller work fine?

2. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

Id get the cloyes True-adjust chain set, Has a torrinton bearing in back and you use a cam stop up front. Great chain for the money and has muiltiple adjustmensts for your cam timing (you should check it). The rollers on it are twice as big as stock replacement sets so it will last a lifetime. I would go with NOTHING LESS in a race or hot street motor. Too much risk on breaking one with big spring pressures and compression.. nate

3. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Get the GM "extreme duty" LT1/LT4 timing set. Well worth it :)

LT1 can't use a normal SBC timing set.

4. purpleflame

off of summits web site for the heavy duty gm,

Note:Timing chain has a 1/2 in. pitch. Can be installed on Generation 1 LT1, if the OptiSpark I is updated to the new, OptiSpark II ignition. This will require a new distributor, new front cover, and cam change to second design cam, the nose is different.
    So im assuming mine is a gen II LT1 being a 95, therefore I already have all this does yours fit under the stock cover?

5. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Don't assume - 1995 was the changover year for Opti1/OptiII

You can visually tell the difference - OptiII has two vacuum lines coming off of the distributor cap portion - one to the intake mnifold, and one that originally went to the throttle body duct (that vacuum hose was a fresh air intake hose basically).

If your cap does NOT have these two vacuum lines, its an Opti1 and if it DOES have the two vacuum lines, its OptiII.

I've dealt with this already on my '97 Z28 lol.

6. purpleflame

thanks mine is a opti 1 has only one vacuum line, but i will be using a ditributor anyways my manifold and block are all set up to use one so why go opti, I will look at the gm chain heard they were a good setup. and a cover to get rid of the clutter behind that pump.

7. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was able to get mine to work. Just had to clearance the back side of the timing cover and run an electric water pump.

B

8. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

I meant for a stock LT1 with the cam-driven waterpump - with an electric pump, you would be correct.