Timing issue after replacing spark plugs & wires?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28

Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28 Striking Z/28

My Z28 is a 1971 but it has a newer 350 engine in it (maybe a late '70s). I just replaced all 8 spark plugs and wires. I put in the same brand and type that it had before from the previous owner (Accel 276S spark plugs and Accel 8mm hi-temp wires). Before the replacement I think the engine had a timing issue (it kept misfiring for a couple of seconds after being turned off). The hotter the engine was the more it would misfire. Now with the new spark plugs and wires it is more accelerated at idle speed, it now backfires through the exhaust pipes when I push the throttle, and the throttling is not as strong as it used to be (it doesn't rev up the engine as much). The gap that the old spark plugs had was somewhere around 0.032 inches. The gap that I set in the new spark plugs is 0.035 inches. Can someone shed some light on what's going on and what do I need to do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

2. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can ear time it I just loosening the distributor hold down bolt ,start the car and slowly turning the distributor One Direction if it starts running worse turn it a little the other direction so it Goes to a high idle and back it down just a bit. Or buy a timing light

KingofThings likes this.
  3. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

First I would double check your firing order. Did you change the wires one at a time? Then check your timing. If my memory is right a misadjusted carburetor and/or to fast of an idle speed can cause engine run on ( dieseling ).

KingofThings and STUCKINCALI like this.
  4. Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28

I tried to change the wires one at a time as much as I could but I'm thinking of two wires that I could have swapped. How can I find out my firing order?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

KingofThings and STUCKINCALI like this.
  6. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

7. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

Distributor spins clockwise for a 350 SBC as well.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28

Thanks. Turns out I had two wrong wires at the distributor (6 & 8). Once I swapped them the problem was gone. I still have the misfiring issue that I had before I replaced the spark plugs and wires but not as bad. It keeps misfiring for a couple of seconds after I turn the engine off.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28

Thanks. Turns out I had two wrong wires at the distributor (6 & 8). Once I swapped them the problem was gone. I still have the misfiring issue that I had before I replaced the spark plugs and wires but not as bad. It keeps misfiring for a couple of seconds after I turn the engine off.

10. Pre-Strike-'71-Z/28

Thanks!

KingofThings likes this.