Timing issue ?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by wiseryder, Aug 24, 2018.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

This is an easy one. Go into the distributor take out the springs, then put the cap back on and start it. The engine will fling the weights open at idle so you can see what your total is with a normal timing light without running the engine to 3 or 4 K. Used to do this all the time unless you you are all hung up on how fast the curve comes in. Try it.

2. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Update, the engine is around 10.25 I am running mid grade fuel but it doesn't matter if I use premium fuel.
    I did get my hands on a reg timing light and it's the same .
    I bought some timing tape but I think it's wrong because it only reads past TDC, what good is that?
    I will try the removing the weights today and see what happens
    Thanks guys

3. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I would not worry about it I read a while back edelbrock recommended 32 total with the RPM heads.
    I was a t the track one day and a guy had a blueprint 383 a high HP one 430hp I want to say his dyno sheet was over 450 HP.
    It ran like a turd at 34 degrees he pulled it back to 28 and it ran 7 tenths quicker.. it was running 14.0's and went 13.30 with timing at 28.
    No idea why he went all the way to 28 but he did it.
    Give it what it wants. If it wants 30 so be it.. you are not going to make it like more unless you stick more octane in it.
    My 350" was only 3HP at the wheels different from 35 to 38 total. and that could have been heat soaking parts made the 3 hp less at 35 as the pulls were withing 2 minutes of each other. It actually ran no different in the seat of the pants.
    That was 601 heads with modified chambers and ported with stock 1.84-1.50 valves.

The track i went 2 tenths quicker at 35 total.. it came out of the hole much harder.. neck snapper launch.
    You could not see that difference on the wheel dyno.

Never know until you try it.
    Take it to the track.

4. wiseryder

Jeff, You very well could be right on that, It just seems odd to me that is the way it is.
    Like I said before it does rip the way it is , so maybe thats the deal
    I guess I won't dwell on it anymore, starting to give me a headache that I don't need, Thanks

5. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

wiseryder, with aluminum heads, 10.25:1 comp, if you're coolant system is working as it should, you should be able to go to 36°. It's going to take 91/93 octane fuel to do it.

I understand what Jeff is say about giving it what it wants. However, you have to be able to get to 36° ± to find out what it likes. Just stopping at 30° you'll never know.

Good luck, NYH1.

6. wiseryder

NYH1.I just looked at my machine shops sheet, CR he has figured is 10.47.
    Hard to get anything above 90/91 around here ,I will be trying tho
    Thank you!

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I generally find that lower compression engines can tolerate more total timing and high compression engines like less. There are some things like efficient chambers and putting the spark plug closer to the center of the 2 valves can play a part in this. Just look at the LSX engine family, most of those engines like around 25° or less of total timing. My old PP truck 461 right now has 44° in it, when I ran 38° it was 2 tenths slower. It's like Jeff said give it what it wants. Make sure you look at the ground strap on the plug to see where the coloring takes place and that will tell you where you timing is at.

8. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

I keep two timing lights in my arsenal to deal with conventional and multi-spark systems. You should use an older Craftsman for timing MSD systems. Dial back lights use a delay for the flash that is confused by a multi-spark event.

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got a Equus digital dial back timing light that has all the features such as digital display , rpm ,voltage and dial back

Works perfectly on MSD Ignition even my MSD 7AL2 plus box and MSD Pro Billet Distributor set up

10. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

I would like to know how that works internally with multi-spark. My older MAC dial back will not work on most MSD systems. Good to know about your light. Could you please post the model number?

Itsadryheat79 likes this.