timing tab

dmfrazee

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2009
Smithfield, Pa.
I have a 1979 Camaro with a 350 motor. The motor never had a timing tab so I ordered one for it. When bolted to the timing cover it sets on top of balancer. Is this normal or is it the wrong tab? I never checked the timing because I lent out my timing lite and never got it back. You can't move it down because of the pin in the timing cover.:confused:

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Not all Chevy small block timing tabs are the same, so not all balancers are marked the same. You need to have a matched set for them to line up.

gav.man

Jul 11, 2010
Newmarket, Ontario
I bought a generic tab and installed it when the heads were off. It was way off. I bought a smaller one and it was bang on. My block is a 350 from '81.

If you didn't have the factory tab you'll have to get TDC and find a tab to match.

dmfrazee

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2009
Smithfield, Pa.
FatnLow said:
How about if you look down behind the waterpump. Straight down at the 12 o'clock position.
That is were the timing mark is and the new bracket fit. I never had a 350 that you had to time from the top. Is this normal?

FatnLow

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 12, 2003
Montgomery, AL US
I'm unsure of the years, but I swear my 79's original 305 was like that. A friends 86 Chev c10 w\350 is like this also.

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
Just ASSUMING that the timing tab is aligned to the TDC of the engine is a bad assumpution.

You really need to align the harmonic balancer zero to the actual TDC zero of the #1 piston. There are plenty of posts here on how to find TDC of the #1 piston with the heads on or off.

Heads on:

1) Get or make a spark plug style piston stop and a timing take for the harmonic balancer. On this link for here, I tell how to fabricate a piston stop: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...ht=piston+stop If you don't have the tools, I can make you one for a couple of bucks plus shipping.

2) Make sure that the #1 piston is down a little in the cylinder. Install the piston stop so that it barely touches the piston and keep backing it out till the piston goes by it.

3) Turn the piston stop in 1 turn and rotate the till it hits the piston stop. Note the position of the Zero on the timing tab and put a THIN chaulk mark on the harmonic balancer across from the Zero of the timing tab.

4) Rotate the engine in the opposite direction till it hits the piston stop. Note the position of the Zero on the timing tab and put a THIN chaulk mark on the harmonic balancer across from the Zero of the timing tab.

5) Half way between those two marks is the Zero of the harmonic balancer. If the marks are far apart, then you could back the stop out a little at a time and repeat steps 3 & 4 till their closer together.

6) IF you are lucky enough to find that the Zero of the harmonic balancer is even with the Zero of the timing tab, then you are either done or you could install the timing tape. However, IF the original Zero of the harmonic balancer is not aligned to the timing tab, you HAVE TO install the timing tape at the (now) established Zero on the harmonic balancer.

Italstalyon

Mar 21, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
@cardinal That sounds like a for sure way to do it. I usually set up my marks with the timing chain cover off and the timing marks on the sprockets lined up. Your way is a good way if the motor is all together and I will check it out on a 427 I'm building now. Thanks :)