Tips for 1/4 replacement

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I noticed you removed the inner door jamb panel where the striker is attached. I drilled all the spot welds to take off the 1/4 skin and left that panel in place.

2. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

Too much damage inside there to get away with that. Plus I have a spot welder so it is much easier to redo the spot welds than it is to weld a seam.

3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

This is the panel I am talking about. No seam welding.

Attached Files:

• jamb.jpg
      jamb.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
  4. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

Here is the other side with the jam still attached. Decided that one needed to come off too due to what looks like a crack in the rocker panel. This was at a time when the General still sold one of the rockers the other I had to fix. The moral of the story is to slowly peel back the layers until you no longer find damage beyond control. That is why I rarely ever use patch panels it is the whole panel or none of the panel.

Attached Files:

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

OK, another question. What do I do with this tab on the lower front of the quarter? (Marked with an X).
    Inkedquarter tab_LI.jpg

I believe it gets pinched between the rocker and the inner jamb reinforcement as shown below (yes, I have more work to do to take care of the rust).

thumbnail (7).jpg

I wasn't planning on removing that inner jamb panel but can't see how even if it did it would make it easier to weld to the top of the rocker with a MIG. I assume the factory had some convoluted jaws on their spot welder.

The only way I see to do it is to trim the flange off and essentially butt weld the end of the quarter skin to the top edge of the rocker.....

6. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

Cut the inner jam off I did and that allowed me to do a lot of repair that otherwise would have been tough and substandard at best. See the above posts.

rotin

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

It may come to that but still trying to understand how hobbiests put quarters on and deal with that tab on the bottom of the lower front. Removing the inner jamb doesn't seem to improve this situation...

8. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Been a while but im pretty sure when i did my 1/4s on my 73 I took a cut off wheel and made a slice in the inner structure right above the rocker for that flange to slide into, i also trimmed that flange a little smaller then-used a structural adhesive to glue it together. You might be able to get the welder in from the inside but don’t remember for sure.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

I also don't think my GM panels had the big tab on them just one straight constant size tab. I will look to see if I have pictures of them.

rotin

10. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

I kept how the factory attached the front lower portion of the quarter to the inner pillar by cutting, and replacing with a patch, the lower portion of the body lock pillar reinforcement. I made the patch out of 20 gauge sheet metal and welded the patch to the pillar. When it was time to attach the full quarter to the body I routed the mig torch through the openings in the inner pillar and outer quarter, and spot welded the tab on the inside quarter where it is sandwiched between the pillar and rocker with 3 spot welds.

hubedobeedo likes this.